x

How do I set up permissions for a web developer to build my Online Store but not have other access?

Hi, I am on owner and I have a user who I would like to grant online store access. 

I do not have the pay version of team permissions. 

If I subscribe to team permissions, can I turn this permission on and off specifically for certain users?

Example #1:  I have a user who also takes payments remote using a square card reader and a mobile phone. 

Example #2:  I have a web developer who does not process payments whatsoever, but helps to manage content, as well as the layout / look of my online store. 

What is the best way to handle this?

Thank you, 

Message 1 of 34
3 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @aurasystems and welcome to the Seller Community!!

With Team Permissions you can have multiple permissions sets for different roles, so if you wanted to create a "mobile cashier" role, you could do this and only allow that permission set/employee to be able to take payments on their own device.

The same thing will go for Online Store permissions, except in order to enable Online Store permissions, you will need to grant full access of your account to that individual, so choose your employee wisely and make sure it's someone you trust. 

I hope that this helps, but please let me know if you have any other quesitons. 🙂

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 34
Beta Member

Best Answer

I think there is a way to do this - just create a new permission level with Online access only.  I'm not sure why that hasn't been mentioned.  I tested it out on my side it does seem to work to give the new user limited access to everything except for Online.

This does require a "Team Plus" subscription or it will not work (https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5579-subscribe-to-employee-management

• Go to Staff > Team > Permissions
  • Click the “Create Permissions Set” button
  • Add a Permission Set name
  • By default “Checkout” is selected and some of the options are checked.  You can uncheck some of the options but 4 of them will remain checked. 
  • Click on “Online” on the permissions menu, and set the slider to On.  The word “Active” should appear next to the “Online” setting in the menu
  • Click Continue 
  • On the Choose Access Points page uncheck Shared points of sale and Mobile point of sale. Leave Dashboard checked.  Click Save
  • The new permission level should appear in your list

View Best Answer >

Message 23 of 34

Best Answer

Hi @ThePipery - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

As @Submatic mentioned above, you do have the ability to grant your web developer access to your Online Store only. You would first need to assign a Permission Set to this Team Member. Then, they will have access to the features listed below:

If you are wanting to grant more or fewer permissions to the Online Store than what is listed above, that would be considered a feature request to have more specific permissions. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet

View Best Answer >

Message 25 of 34
33 REPLIES 33

With the way Square Online is configured (Items pricing, Coupons, Sales Tax) we require full access so that there is no risk of these settings getting modified by mistake. 

I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

I hope this information is helpful @MichelleG1!

JJ
Message 22 of 34
Beta Member

Best Answer

I think there is a way to do this - just create a new permission level with Online access only.  I'm not sure why that hasn't been mentioned.  I tested it out on my side it does seem to work to give the new user limited access to everything except for Online.

This does require a "Team Plus" subscription or it will not work (https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5579-subscribe-to-employee-management

• Go to Staff > Team > Permissions
  • Click the “Create Permissions Set” button
  • Add a Permission Set name
  • By default “Checkout” is selected and some of the options are checked.  You can uncheck some of the options but 4 of them will remain checked. 
  • Click on “Online” on the permissions menu, and set the slider to On.  The word “Active” should appear next to the “Online” setting in the menu
  • Click Continue 
  • On the Choose Access Points page uncheck Shared points of sale and Mobile point of sale. Leave Dashboard checked.  Click Save
  • The new permission level should appear in your list
Message 23 of 34

It's now Jan 2023, has this been resolved?

We really need the ability to add a developer account so that they can view transaction logs, keys, etc, without having access to the company's business settings. 

Message 24 of 34

Best Answer

Hi @ThePipery - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

As @Submatic mentioned above, you do have the ability to grant your web developer access to your Online Store only. You would first need to assign a Permission Set to this Team Member. Then, they will have access to the features listed below:

If you are wanting to grant more or fewer permissions to the Online Store than what is listed above, that would be considered a feature request to have more specific permissions. To learn more about how feature requests work, please see this post from one of our Seller Community Moderators. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 25 of 34

Right, so is this a new permissions feature set?  When was this implemented? 

Message 26 of 34

Hi. I am a salon owner and currently use square for POS, booking.   In process of creating an online store with a web designer. I am also having trouble figuring out how to give my web designer online access.  I don't have the online store yet, as he is creating it.  He needs to get all of my items/products I currently have set up and I am still using Square up as my point of sale, so he would need access to link that.    I don't want to him to see what im bringing in money wise.   How can I do this?   Even if I create a team member with special persimmons, he would till have to log in from his office?  

Message 27 of 34

Hi @pinkflame00 - Thanks for following up on this thread.

How is your web designer currently building your Online Store without their own log-in or Permissions? It is not recommended to share log-in info, especially as the Square Account Owner, for your protection.

You would first need to assign a Permission Set to this Team Member, then you can utilize Team Permissions to control what your team members can see and do in your POS and online Square Dashboard. If you need any help setting this up, please feel free to contact our Support Team for further assistance by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 28 of 34

i want to make a MOD APK DOWNLOAD website , please guide me where I can start, I have example like MOD APK Download

thanks
Message 29 of 34

Hi @LisaRobertsajid - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

You can check out this page to learn more about getting started with Square Online. If you are needing any assistance setting up your Online Store or if you have any questions, I recommend connecting with our Support Team. 

The best way to reach out is by phone because our team can look at your account with you and help you make adjustments in real time. If you haven't already, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 30 of 34

Having re-read the responses and the “solution”, the problem is still not resolved. 

Until this simple feature is added, the Square online store will not be a viable product for us. 

What a shame. 

Message 31 of 34
Beta Member

I just spent 41 Minutes on with SQUARE Support - mentioned this thread and it is totally useless. I am supposed to give an outside company access to my account settings. I know the company I hired is legit, but I know they have developers across multiple countries. And this information could go far and wide.  This is not something I understand at all.

Message 32 of 34

Hi @LAM 👋

We're sorry to hear you've had a frustrating experience getting in touch with support. Right now, you'd have to set them up as a full-access team member, as mentioned in the best answer in this thread. They would not be able to make changes to your bank details, or account email and you can remove them as a team member whenever you like. 

Message 33 of 34
Beta Member

This is the same as me asking for your personal log-in for your online banking account.  I cannot change anything, but I can see everything. Where you shop, who you pay. So much data to see.

Outside developers can download your customer database, their emails, communication threads, other team member pay, etc.  We are at a standstill on development. 

The only solution I see is to allow remote access to my computer and I watch everything they do. It is a solution, but time consuming.

Message 34 of 34