x

How do I set up variable sales tax for food items or merchandise?

I am selling items through Square that have variable tax rates based on my state sales tax guidelines.  Food and merchandise are taxed at different rates.  The only variable option I can find is based on dining preferences (eat in, to go, etc) but it seems to waive the tax rather than apply a different rate.  I have not been able to find any other solution -- any suggestions?

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

I figured it out.  Set up more than one tax level and then when you go to set up a new item, you will have multiple taxes to choose from and you can just check the box for the one that applies to that item.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I am having the same issue, I sell on thing that is taxable but the container is not???

Message 2 of 10

Best Answer

I figured it out.  Set up more than one tax level and then when you go to set up a new item, you will have multiple taxes to choose from and you can just check the box for the one that applies to that item.

Message 3 of 10
Square

@Marché - Glad to hear!  😄

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 10

For a Retail store in Virginia (market/grocery) selling food and non food items, how does square account for food taxes?

Message 5 of 10
Admin

@Hkorbini I've moved your post to this thread where another seller provided a Best Answer for your question. And in case you need them, the steps to manage your tax settings are in our Support Center.

If you have any other questions please let me know. Welcome to the Seller Community! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

I have a general store in NC. We have a merchandise tax and then a food tax. The majority of the items in my store are at the regular tax rate. I wish there was a way to just change the item to food tax when needed and otherwise leave the regular sales tax on- to save time. Rather than having to go in and pick for every item. I tried to do an item tax for food, but then it still charges the regular tax.

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @MHGS I am sorry our current sales tax settings are not working out for you. I just want to make sure I am on the same page, at checkout, you would like the option to toggle on or off sales tax when needed? 

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

Thanks for checking in. I think I figured out a work around (not great) with the tax exemption on my main tax rate. I will try it tomorrow.

In answer to your question - No, I wanted to be able to do that while inputting inventory. A majority of my items are one rate and it would be easier to setup a new tax rate for a category (rather than items) that just excluded the main sales tax rate for that category. Hard to explain, but I was looking for an easier way to have 2 tax rates based on category instead of items.

Message 9 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Glad you were able to figure out a workaround @MHGS for now. This would be a feature request and you can certainly reach out to our Ideate Board to submit that request. Please keep in mind a submission to Ideate does not guarantee a feature will be implemented. But our team will certainly track and provide updates on the request there. 

Message 10 of 10