x

How do I void a transaction?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Voiding a transaction before batch

I wasn't clear on my last question... We entered an amount incorrectly and the transaction went through, immediatly we went to void it and the only option was to "issue a refund", subsequently I got charged 3 times, 1 for the mistake 2 fo the refund and 3 for the correct ammount. This all happened within minutes and way before our shechuled batch time. Is there a way to "void/cancel" an entered transaction without refunding? Also, its embarrasing to have a customer be hit with 3 different transactions on thier statment especially when it takes up to a week for the refund to go through. We are knew to this so please help:)

Hope I was clear on the situation.

Thank you,

Laurie

Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

There is no "Batching", the moment your transaction goes thru Square debits the customer's card and it goes into your Square account for next day deposit.

There is not a way to change the amount of a transaction.  You can either refund the entire transaction, but then you'd need the card to charge it again, only do this if it is for more money, or you can issue a partial refund to lower the original transaction total (it will show up as a charge and a partial refund).

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Beta Member

I wholeheartedly agree that VOID needs to be an option for transactions. We just had a check come in for an invoice and the amount was incorrect, but I didn't catch that until I recorded the payment. Yes it was my mistake, but I would like to have another option of how to fix it rather than return, because I then returned the whole amount instead of just the 200 to show that there was still a balance due and now there is no way of adjusting that invoice forcing me to create a new invoice and now my reports are completely screwed up! 

Message 22 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Once a payment is processed, and the amount has been debited from a customer's account, the only way for us to reverse the funds is via a refund @Benson2. However, you can issue a partial, or itemized refund in cases where the incorrect amount was recorded, or an additional items was added to a sale, for example. Check out how to issue refunds here.

Message 23 of 28
Beta Member

Definitely need a VOID option...  I just rang in a transaction being paid for with a check and the wrong amount was on the original transaction.  So now we have to REFUND it and put in the correct amount.  My sales report is now WRONG!
SQUARE PLEASE FIX THIS!!!  This is not proper accounting.

Message 24 of 28

We need a void button asap, my gross sales and refunds are incorrect because there is no void function. please get this asap before june 2022... 

Message 25 of 28
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Mocean,

Welcome to the Community.

Thanks for reaching out to share your feedback. Feel free to also share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here: squ.re/ideate - Our Product Team keeps an eye on this forum as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this.

Let me know if we can assist you with anything else.

Message 26 of 28

I just have a situation with a wrongly paid invoice with a check. I need to remove that payment because it was an old invoice and was already registered manually. Again, the void transactions option is a need in the real-life business. Do you have any timeframe for this? It should be an easy fix to void transactions, and keep records of the process for audit purposes.

Message 27 of 28

i agree, this has nothing to do with audits, people make mistakes and there should be an easy void that does not reflect into gross sales, just a report that says voids and explanations.   please square fix this asap.  

Message 28 of 28