x

How long does a refund take to go through?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Refunds

I've refunded a payment it says on the app that it's gone through but the person is saying they never received it.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Whitmorepark

Congrats on your first post in the Community! 

Whenever you issue a refund - usually it takes 2 business days for the refund to hit the customer's account. At more it can take 7 business days. Sometimes it can depend on the bank or card provider on processing too. 

Has it been past that timeframe? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 13
Beta Member

Pending refund dates Feb 7 2023

Yes it's past the time dates

Message 3 of 13
Beta Member

This is a refund from Walmart from a Jan 31 purchase that they canceled, pending since feb 7 .today is Feb 13 

Why and who is responsible?

Message 4 of 13

Hi @Betteonly1 - Violet here, stepping in for Kassi 👋

It sounds like you may have filed a Dispute for your Square Card. Is that correct?

If we receive enough information to proceed, a temporary credit may be applied to your account. Some disputes may not be eligible for a temporary credit. We will notify you via email once your dispute has been successfully initiated and confirm whether a temporary credit has been applied to your account.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 🙂

Violet
Message 5 of 13

I have one of the customers I refunded saying she has not yet received the refund.  When I go to my Reports page to check on refund status', for the entire month, I see "no transactions".  I thought maybe I had not finished processing the request, but when I go to the invoice in question to issue a refund, it indicates there is nothing to refund.  I also don't know where to find the date I refunded in any of the transactions or reports.  Any suggestions.  Yes, I know it depends on how they paid and which credit card company was used.  I was refunded (same event) for a charge on my credit card within 4-5 days.  How do I ease this customer's fears that I've done what I said I would do?

Kippian Inglis
Message 6 of 13

Hey @Kippian,

I moved your post about refunds to a more relevant thread than the one you were commenting in before.

This thread explains the refund timeline but I would recommend reaching out to our direct CS team if you'd like to confirm the refund was initiated since we don't have access to account specifics here.

Our refund timeline is longer than the 4-5 days you listed above so most likely it's still on it's way but you can call CS to be totally sure. 

Ashley C
Message 7 of 13

Thank you...I'm totally new to refunds!  I have sent my message to CS.

Kippian Inglis
Message 8 of 13

@Kippian No worries! Happy to help however I can.

Thanks for emailing CS too. 👍

Ashley C
Message 9 of 13

I refunded a number of customers, refunds are showing pending. My customers want to know where their refunds are?  Square pulled the funds from my account almost a week ago.

Message 10 of 13
Alumni

Refunds can take 9 - 14 days (2-7 on Square's end and 2-7 on the bank's end ) from start to finish before they land in your customer's account. 

If that window has already passed, reach out to CS for more help. They'll be able to provide you a trace number to give to your customer so their bank can easily locate the refund:  squ.re/contact 

@artrageousfl

Justin
Message 11 of 13

Refund initiated June 19th, it's mow the 24, refund still hasn't been delivered into my customers account. Says it was refunded on my transaction page but not in her bank account..

Message 12 of 13

Hey @JanetCalton,

I moved your post to one of the existing threads where this question has been asked already.

In the future- don't hesitate to search our Support Center for the quickest answer!

Ashley C
Message 13 of 13