x

Employee Tips Report?

Has anyone used Square's API to implement an easy to way to pull an employee's credit card tips for the shift they worked? The custom reporting piece is a pain and my staff makes a lot of mistakes. 

Not having an easy to generate a tips report for employee is a lot of heated discussion and I want an easy way for them to pull the tips report themselves. Thanks 

Message 1 of 38
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Good question @A-TownTap

The best way to track tips is by setting up Team Plus. Assign your bartenders 4 digit pass-codes so they enter it at each sale. 

At the end of the night, Pull a Sales Report and filter by employee to view their tip totals. 

Look through this thread I moved your post to to learn more! 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
Square Community Moderator

This is actually a report you can pull through your Square Dashboard if you're using our Team Management features. 

Hopefully another seller can chime in with a solution that's more specific to what you're trying to do. 

Message 2 of 38

To pull that is one of the most confusing thing to do for staff. 4-5 clicks and you have to be real carefuly about selecting the timeframe and employee.

My staff has complained to the point where square doesnt even seem like a real POS anymore. 

Why is it so hard to get an end of day report for an employees whos logged in? 

Message 3 of 38

How do you find it under team management?

Message 4 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @lebranes

This report has actually moved to the Reports tab on your Dashboard. There is an option to select Team Sales, but you will have to have the subscription to Team Management. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions. 

Kassi
Message 5 of 38

This is exactly where we used to get our reports and it outlined everything nicely.  Unfortunately, Square has decided to add this feature as an extra add on that almost doubles the payroll price…$4.00 per employee to see team sales data.  That’s on top of the per head fee for payroll.  I’m sooo upset at this move and currently looking at a new payroll system…and because of that, a new POS system as well.

Message 6 of 38

We have a restaurant and each employee has a "login" number.

We created a custom sales report that includes all servers, we also added a server called "ToGo".

At the end of the night we look at the report. It includes the Gross sales per server and Credit card tips.

We love it!

I hope this helps!

Message 7 of 38

@RSPC - To pull the tips is definitely possible but the amount of steps is very concerning. Do you run the reports or your employees do? What most bar/rest do is they let employees pull the report themselves and then take the Credit Card Tips out of their cash drop. Basically they get paid out immediately for credit card tips. 

Square makes it really hard as our staff has to navigate many screens and options to find their own report. Square said they are working on it but who knows how long it will take. 

Message 8 of 38

Ah, to be more specific, Employees would like to run reports on the Ipad and find out what tips they are owed. 

The challgene is 1) timeframe for which they worked 2) making sure they select themselves and not ALL employees. 

Many forget both and the tips they think they earned are off. With employees taking tips immediately at the end of the night that this has turned into a real problem. 

Message 9 of 38
Square

ore @FGSF - Appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback around the process involved in pulling these details - it definitely sounds like there are some opportunities for improvement. Did you have any thoughts about how @RSPC is pulling these details? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 10 of 38

We do the report at the end of the night.

It is just one click - in dashboard under sales we created a custom report, we called it "Tips Detail" it shows every server that logged in that day with their gross sales and the cc tips they made.

Their cc tips is written for each day on their time card.

Servers get credit card tips added to their paycheck the following week.

Message 11 of 38

Great, is there a way to add that to the IPAD? My employees dont have access to a computer, just the ipad. 

Btw, is there a way to get CASH collected as one of the column items? I have a blind drop procedure for my bartenders and I would do a compare of what square reported vs what they dropped. Thansk 

Message 12 of 38
Square

@FGSF - You can log in to the Square Dashboard from your iPad to see this. 😉

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 13 of 38

Hi just curious if any progress has been made. I was told that a new version of the software might be released that provies more restaurants/bars. Any updats on this? thanks 

Message 14 of 38

Lol years. Literal years

Message 15 of 38

Problem is, why would you want the server to know there cash sales? They could rob you blind.

Message 16 of 38

I know this is an old post from 2016, but I stumbled across it so other's might too. To run a tip report from a web browser (not on a POS station), click on Reports - Employee Sales and you will see a column for Tips. If reporting to a payroll company, change dates to the pay period being reported. Hope this helps! 

Message 17 of 38

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Tip out

If I have a server putting back drink orders to the bar, how do I know how much the tip out to the bartender will be at the end of the night from each server? Is there a way to automatically calculate a certain percentage of alcohol sales per server that is to be set aside for tip out?

Message 18 of 38
Alumni

Best Answer

Good question @A-TownTap

The best way to track tips is by setting up Team Plus. Assign your bartenders 4 digit pass-codes so they enter it at each sale. 

At the end of the night, Pull a Sales Report and filter by employee to view their tip totals. 

Look through this thread I moved your post to to learn more! 

Justin
Message 19 of 38

Those are all great, but what about a small business that has no manager to run a report. You surely would not want an employee to see there cash sales as it is a way they can steal by not running some cash sales. 

So if there was a way for the bartender to simply hit a key to see the days tips so they can ballance, that would be great. Many people have asked for it, and we unfortunately will be leaving square after 2021 due to this problem that costs us time and hours everytime a manager gets a call for tips.

Message 20 of 38

How do you track credit card tips to disburse to your employees? Do you have to look up EVERY transaction or is there a setting to track them? Thank you.

Message 21 of 38