x

How long does pairing of contactless/chip reader last with mobile device?

Does pairing need to be created each time contactless/chip reader is used?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader will stay paired to your device and connect automatically once the Square Register app is opened and your Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader is turned on. 

The reader will go to sleep after extended periods of inactivity, so pressing the button on the front of the reader should wake it back up. 

You won't need to pair it every time. 

Message 2 of 5

I am not understanding why the contactless reader not stay paired with our tablets. I am a restaurant owner with 8 readers connected to tablets and my servers are getting so angry because they wont stay connected. Then when they try to reconnect half of the time it wont pair. We have updated everything reset everything nothing is working. 

Kathy Parrish 

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Kmparrish72 and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where we go over the pairing details for the Contactless reader.

The answer above goes over how they stay paired but keep in mind they have to be within a certain distance of the tablet to re-pair again. If the server walks away too far, it will un-pair and won't re-pair until it's near it again.

You might also need to do some troubleshooting listed in our Support Center here. I'm not sure what tablets you have either but may be worth checking to make sure they're compatible with this reader.

In the future, don't hesitate to search your question first here or on the Support Center for your quickest answer too!

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 5

Thanks my serve has apple tablets and the holder that keeps the tables and reader together at all times 

Message 5 of 5