x

How to Guide: Marking an invoice paid without sending a bill.

I've fought with this, as apparently have many others and wanted to share a solution to this issue.

Step One: Fill out the invoice as normal but do not create it yet.

Step Two: Find "Invoice Method" and change it from "Send invoice by Email" to "Share Invoice Manually".

Step Three: Select "Create". This will give you a prompt with a link to share the invoice, you can ignore this and select "OK".

Step Four: Back in the Dashboard Invoice overview, select the Invoice you just created. Select the "More" option (as of time of writing this is the lower right corner), and you will see the "Add Payment" option. Select this and fill out the payment information.

Step Five: Now that the invoice is marked paid, you'll want to send it to the client. You can do this two ways. Both start in the Dashboard Invoice overview. Select the invoice again and either select "Share" To get a URL you can send your client(this will show the invoice with a paid status as well as a PDF download prompt). Or select "More" and "Download PDF" to get a PDF copy you can send the client.

Unfortunately there seems to be no way to directly email the marked paid invoice to the client directly, but at least this is much better than sending an invoice requesting payment to a client that's already paid.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Beta Member

Thanks for the workaround.

I'm hoping that the invoices get some much needed updates and being able to mark one as paid during the creation process is on my list.  To my business, an invoice makes for a better receipt for those larger or more complex sales than a receipt.

Message 2 of 6

I hope so as well, my invoices carry my labor details. That detail is key to customer confidence and it's frustrating that I have to send a link or attachment instead of an emailed invoice.

Message 3 of 6

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Marking an invoice as PAID without sending a receipt

I have it setup to manually send an email. That said, it sends an email once the invoice is paid. (I just did a test one to see). I have several old invoices that never were marked paid and I need to get them all marked without sending 100 emails to the customer!

How do I do this?

I also have 5 delivery orders that have been delivered, but I can’t clear without sending an email. Can I get around this?

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
Alumni

Hi hi @herbalkindness - welcome to the Seller Community

I've moved your post over to this thread where someone posted their process for this situation.
Feel free to mention @Lsol here in this thread if you have questions about their workaround

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 6

Thank you.
I already create invoices in the way and email a link (for other reasons). However, I don’t want them to get a receipt/email. It’s something I do weekly (and haven’t cleared since last July 😬) and so don’t want them getting 40+ email receipts once I go mark then as paid. And I don’t want them marked as paid when I send it because it’s not paid at that point. Any insight here? 
@Lsol 

Message 6 of 6