x
Super Seller

How to change a Customers Email...

Here is the situation:

Customer came in yesterday, told them email was automatically sent to XYxxxxxxx@Yaxxxxx

Customer said I no longer have that email address.

How can I change this persons email when it was his 1st time in our store?

They have no access to the email address the receipt was sent to to click not my email address or not my receipt.

I can not turn off or choose to do a different method for a receipt without looking into transactions, why is this not a feature yet since I see this has been a problem since 2016.  

Why can't I get a screen that shows the partial email, Partial phone number, and Print Receipt for every transaction in my settings WITHOUT calling customer service to turn this off?  Should be an easy toggle button in our back office.  

This holds up the line me trying to go back through transactions and printing out another receipt as Square calls it.

Customer even asked me to change his email prferences in my system which I have no access to his customer profile.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hello, @Candlestore

I can understand your frustration. The reality is that many of our Sellers enjoy the automatic receipt function that Square offers and because of this our team hasn't dedicated time to develop a switch to toggle this feature off. Now like I said at the beginning, I understand where you are coming from and how embarrassing it can be to have this experience in front of a customer. 

One thing I can suggest is either turning the feature completely off or suggesting your customers update their contact preferences by visiting profile.squareup.com.

If you would like to turn off Automatic receipts, just let me know and I can lend a hand with that to save you a phone call. 

I hope this information is helpful!

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

@JJ_ ,

Well my question then is if I turn it off that it automatically gets emailed will I still have the receipt popup that lets me choose the Text, Email or Print receipt for my customers.    I like the ability to send the text and email receipts but do not like that they get sent automatically especially around the holidays and with out the option to edit the receiver's email address before it is sent to them.  I am not sure who remembers or who has written down the link to update a Receipts email address so customers can do this easily.  What is really strange is that if a person used Square 1 time before at a store and got their email in the system they would have to remember where they signed up for this at, since now they are also my customer I should be able to update their information too as MY customer not just as a customer of XYZ from Square before.  Anyway when I hear back from you, I will let you know if I want this removed from my account, since I do like to email the receipts too, just not automatically.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Message 3 of 6

Turning off Automatic Receipts does just that. You will get the prompt for Text, Email, or Print (if a printer is available) when this happens your customer will be prompted to enter an email every time regardless of being another Seller's customer. In regards to editing the email, when a customer inputs their email to request a receipt their email isn't stored on the specific Sellers account but in their Square Profile. In order to edit emails, a Seller needs to have Customer Management activated in the account and if the customer gives consent to store the email then it will be stored inside your Customer Directory and will be 100% editable. 

I hope this information is helpful @Candlestore

JJ
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

@JJ_ ,

It helps but not what I wanted to hear.  So when I turn off automatic emailing of receipts, I would not have the prompt automatically filled in with the customers info like I have now?   Sometimes my customers get the automatically Sent receipt others I get a Prompt to send a receipt to email EMXXX@GMXXXX or Text receipt to XXX-XXX-5555 or Printed Receipt.  This would be fine if I could keep getting that to speed up checkout instead of having the customer put in their information again if I turned off the Automatically sent receipt.  I do have the receipt printer but some like to save paper as long as it does not have them entering information.  I hope this clarifies what I would like to be able to do.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Message 5 of 6

I will need to confirm this for you, but my understanding is that they are prompted for an email, or phone number every time unless they are saved as Customers on your account. 

JJ
Message 6 of 6