x

Mag reader doesn't work

I was sent my free mag reader in the mail. Unfortunately, my phone doesn't have an aux port, so I bought a little things that let's me plug it into my type c hole. Unfortunately, it won't read ANY cards. Nothing at all. How can I get this to work? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Hello @Sarryn !

To be honest, I'm not sure you can get it to work into a USB-C port. At least, it probably won't be supported by Square in that configuration.

Your best bet would be to look into the contactless reader. This connects via bluetooth and is a lot more secure for you when it comes to fraudulent charges. For the time being, you can always manually enter the card number--do know there is a higher processing rate for manual entries though.

Wish I could be more help!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 4

If the free version doesn't work, why would I pay money for one? 🤷♀️Thank you for your ideas, though. 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Sarryn  I hear you, but I can say with confidence that the contactless reader connects to all devices with very few issues. The free reader is just to get your foot in the door and was designed for devices 12 years ago. Technology has vastly improved since then, and the rules around fraud liability have changed as well. Fraudulent swipes = the merchant is on the hook. Fraudulent taps/dips = the bank is on the hook. Yeah, it's $49, but connectivity and peace of mind makes it worth it IMO.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 4