x
Super Seller

How to disable Cash payment type for specific permission sets

I searched the forums, and could only find articles about how to disable cash payments per device.  However, I want to disable the ability for Cash Payments and also Other Payment for specific permission sets.  Our processes require that managers ring up cash customers, and we would like to remove the option for non-managers.

I assumed that this would be a simple setting in the permission set, but I could not find it.

Thanks

~Cheryl!
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!

Cheryl! Tisland
Burst Of Butterflies Create & Paint Studio

BurstOfButterflies.com
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

@BofBArtStudio Yet another post where I read it, and thought there just has to be a way to do this or at least a decent workaround.  Alas, it seems that there was nothing I could find to help you in the here-and-now.

You know where to submit a feature request and all of that.  Your idea is one possibility to achieve this.  Another idea that might be quicker for the product teams would be to give us the ability to tag any payment method with a manager-override-required tag in our POS settings where we set up and re-order those payment types.  Then if an employee tried to ring up cash, it would pop up that code required screen.

Anyway, submit the request, then post a link to it in the SS Lounge and I’ll be happy to lend my support to it.  Just remember to state your case why this would be a really good idea for everyone who uses Square!

Best wishes,

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!
Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

We must have been typing at the same time, @TheRealChipA 😂 Thank you for confirming this, and excellent call on the feature request suggestion through Ideate

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for posting, @BofBArtStudio

I don't believe it is possible to remove the ability to take cash payments for your team members. This is what you are referring to when you say "specific permission sets" correct? 

Perhaps another Super Seller can chime in here? 

@alexandriak @bagelboss @dasap1234 @Donnie-M @JupiterGames @shopfybr @londontea @ryanwanner @porktaco @Pesso @page158  

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

@BofBArtStudio I would allow your managers to install the app on their phones, or just have a dedicated tablet (android or iOS) that has cash a payment option.  You could then disable cash payments on your regular register for everyone.  The team member could save the ticket using open tickets and the manager could load the ticket on the dedicated device/phone and process the cash payment.

The drawer if it is tied to a receipt printer (and not the usb tied to the stand) this will kick the drawer open for that transaction only.  You would inherently eliminate someone else except a manager from taking a cash payment as you can restrict by permission set who can download and log into the mobile app.  Each manager would log in and hence you can also track the transactions.  The phone or device just needs to be on the same wi-fi network and set up the printer for customer receipts on the device.  I have not checked to see if there is a different behavior in the retail app that would work or restaurants app free version that would do the same.

If you didn't want to have too many devices you could even just get a square terminal and set it up just for this.  Any cheap android phone would work and you could have a physical type of security of only whoever has the device can take cash.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 5 of 5