x

How to print barcode labels?

I did it once before but now I can't find the inventory tab on my dashboard. It only shows Items. What is an updated 2018 way to print your barcode labels through Square?

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey everyone! 🌸

You can print barcode labels when subscribed to Square for Retail Plus.

You can learn more about how to do so here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 41
40 REPLIES 40

I have a dymo 450 and do not get the print button under the actions tab. Any ideas?

Message 22 of 41
Alumni

Hey @MW5 - Are you subscribed to Square for Retail? The ability to create or print barcodes is only available through Square for Retail at this time.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 23 of 41

Does the Dymo 450 work to print barcodes with square retail, also there seem to be versions of that printer?  Did you get an answer to your previous question about a print button under the action tab?  This seems so difficult and seems to have very little support.  I'm concerned about committing ot Square Retail for this reason.

Message 24 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hey! Welcome to Seller Community. I hear your frustration in this - I remember working with barcode labels back in my time with Retail stores and they are quite finicky. 

To answer your questions - yes, the Dymo 450 does work with Square. You can get the model most used here: https://www.dymo.com/en-US/labelwriter-450-label-printer

Also, below are the beginning steps toward printing a barcode label with Square for Retail: 

To get started:

1. Sign in to the Items section of your online Square Dashboard > Actions.
  2. Click Print Labels.
  3. Select a label type and location.
  4. Choose to print labels by CategoryPurchase Order, or Product.
  5. Click Create > download or print labels.
  6. Click Done.

Keep in mind: While you can create and print bar code labels, you are not able to auto-generate bar code labels with Square for Retail.

By downloading the labels to your computer, you’re able to revisit the file to print more labels in the future and send the file to another computer.

There is a lot more information in this help article that can also work out some of the issues you may be seeing. 😄

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 25 of 41

Hi

We are with square retail as far as i know have been operating with square for about 10months but cannot find the print tab. We want to transfer over into printing labels and barcodes for our products. Will it only show if we have a printer connected to our dashboard?

Message 26 of 41
Alumni

Hi @Botanica83,

If you log onto your dashboard and got to Account & Settings > Business > Pricing & Subscriptions, does it list Square for Retail under the "Subscription Pricing" section?

Alex_
Community Moderator, Square // Moderador de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 27 of 41

Thanks Alex.

I can only see Team Plus there.

Cannot seem to find a Square for Retail option.

Message 28 of 41
Alumni

@Botanica83 Hey there! Justin here jumping in for Alex. 

Any paid services you are subscribed to lives in the Pricing & Subscription tab as Alex pointed out. Since you're unable to find it, there's a chance you aren't subscribed. 

Is your account US based? If not, Square Retail is not available internationally yet so you won't have access to the barcode label creation feature. 

Justin
Message 29 of 41

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Square POS vs Square Retail" The author has been notified via email.

Hello, do i need to have Square for Retail in order to print the barcoded labels?  Is there a workaround or other option?

Message 30 of 41
Beta Member

I am looking how to print a bar code onto a jewlery lable to wrap all my necklaces with.  Does anyone have any idea how to do that? I do have square for retail.  I cannot find the labels for that in the drop downs or options.   Thanks!

Message 31 of 41

I am new to Square and am opening a retail shop. I am trying to print out bar code labels from Square.  I also bought the label writer 450 to complete the bar code printouts but when I go to the action menu "Print" is not available.  The only options are either Import, Export or expand. How do I get the Print option to show.  or is there a better way to print out bar code labels? 

Thanks for your help!

Message 32 of 41

Hello @Dillys and welcome to the Community!

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community around how to print your barcode labels.

Keep in mind you do have to be subscribed to Square for Retail to have this feature and it's within the Inventory Management section of the Retail app. 

Ashley C
Message 33 of 41

I am with a small "Thrift" store operation and we have just signed up for Square for Retail.  We have Square on a few mobile devices and recently purchased a Bluetooth/wireless enabled Zebra zd410 printer.  We were hoping that we could enter items into the library and print labels for them all on one of the mobile device.  We haven't been able to figure out how to do this yet, I'm curious if anyone has dealt with this or if there is some way to go around this?

Message 34 of 41
Alumni

@BryanSeattle

Although convenient, currently barcode labels cannot be printed from a mobile device. You'll need to create them from Dashboard.

Tagging this for our Product Team to track. Thanks for sharing your feedback! 

Justin
Message 35 of 41
Admin

Best Answer

Hey everyone! 🌸

You can print barcode labels when subscribed to Square for Retail Plus.

You can learn more about how to do so here

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 36 of 41

Which label printer do you use? We have the square stand and are purchasing the USB barcode scanner. We want to purchase our label printer from amazon but aren't sure which one to get. thanks!

Message 37 of 41
Beta Member

Hello, does anyone know how to print barcodes ONLY for my inventory that is in stock? I've wasted so many labels with the system printing labels for my items that are not even available. There must be a setting for this that I'm missing. Thanks!

Message 38 of 41

Welcome back to the Community, @boomboombrazil

Yes, there is an option to only have the bar code on your label. Here is a Support Article about creating Bar Codes & Labels. 

There is a short screen recording that walks you through creating the labels for your items. I took a screenshot of the section that would help. 

It will be under Label Details and you can check or uncheck the items you wish to appear on your item label. 

Also, I moved your post to a thread where sellers asked similar questions about this topic. 

Kassi
Message 39 of 41

Did you ever get a reply or find out if you can print barcodes for only in-stock inventory? I believe the person who answered your question misunderstood what you were asking. I am doing a price update on many items in one category and simply want to print new tags for all the in-stock items I have in that category. The problem is that I have many items in that category that have a zero quantity, however Square Retail Plus gives all those items a quantity of 1, when listed for label printing. I have had that on many other pos systems, but they all gave an option to not list or print tags for items with 0 quantity. My print label list is not short and unfortunately it also lists in a different order then what I exported and printed out, so at first I thought I would just go down the line and remove all the items that said 1 but should have been 0 quantity, but since they are not in the same order it would take forever to verify which items actually have 1 item in stock and which items actually have 0 in stock (and not the 1 listed). Any ideas? Thanks.

Message 40 of 41

Hey @DEJ 

I replied to your post here. Thank you for surfacing this matter and Welcome to the Seller Community.

JJ
Message 41 of 41