x

How to provide a credit on a invoice?

Question: When selling and using invoicing in square how can one provide credit for and item and have it show on the invoice. We sell to retail account perishables and returns are part of the program.

Message 1 of 27
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

The only way to show a credit is to create a discount.  When you enter a discount you can enter a title for what the discount/credit is for.  Otherwise there is not a way to show a credit.  They were not designed for that.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

I can't believe 1) this doesn't already exist and 2) that they are even suggesting creating a discount as a work around.  They aren't the same, and don't accomplish the same goals.  GRRR

Message 22 of 27
Beta Member

I discovered a workaround. I created a discount in the item library, and gave it the name "Credit" and then used the variable amount so I can assign a specific dollar amount at the time that I apply the credit to the invoice. On the invoice that goes to the customer, it shows up as a credit and the word "discount" never appears. It's too bad that we have to come up with these workarounds, though. Makes it less user-friendly for those of us who are just trying to run our businesses and don't have time to experiment. 

Message 23 of 27
Beta Member

But a credit in the item library would be a negative number. I can't add a minus sign. How does it work?

Message 24 of 27
Beta Member

Sorry, in my previous reply I should have indicated the items menu, instead of item library. Go to Items > Discounts >Create a Discount. Once you're there, you can name the discount anything you like. Whatever you name it is what will appear on the invoice. Use the toggle switch to choose percentage or a dollar amount, but leave the actual amount blank. Then save. It will be saved as a variable discount. 

When you create your invoice, after applying the purchase items, then click on the button for discount, and choose the one you named Credit (or whatever name you choose) and apply it. You can fill in the actual percentage or dollar amount. It will be applied as a negative on the invoice, and will subtract from the total owed. 

This may not solve all the different issues people are having, especially if you want to send an invoice with a $0 dollar amount. 

Message 25 of 27

But you can't track credit in Square. You need to have another spreadsheet to track credits which is one of the biggest reason I prefer Square over other merchant companies because Square has invoice tracking system even tho more expensive. 

Message 26 of 27

The discount/credit workaround seems ok unless you have a zero balance, in which case Square says there is a minimum of $1 for an invoice to get sent.  So you have to leave $1 on the balance, which is a pain from a bookkeeping perspective.

Message 27 of 27