x

How do I apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Invoices and discounts]

I understand how to do a % and dollar discount which applies to all the items on an invoice.

Is there a way to exclude items on the invoice from that global discount?

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @kitora18!

Those instructions probably aren't the most updated. Once you have created the discount in the Online Dashboard, then you can follow these instructions to apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice:

1. Add an item or enter a custom amount within the Invoice. 
  2. Once added, select Customize, and then select which discount you would like to apply. 

Note: Only fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to a single item at this time. You cannot apply dollar amount discounts to individual items. 

I hope this answers your question. Please reply back in this thread with any additional questions. 

Isabelle
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Hey @RJHoney

Currently, you can only apply discounts on the entire invoice. This is the case for percentages and dollar discounts. I can see how itemized discounts could help with reporting, so I will pass this feature request along to our product team! 

If anything changes regarding this I will make sure to update this thread. 😃

Message 2 of 15

How does one create a discount for an electronic (to be e-mailed) invoice?

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Hey @Navi, that is a great question! 

You will create a discount the exact same way. You will apply the discount when creating the invoice. Under the item section you should see discount description.  In this section you would add your discount. Check out the image provided below for reference. 

If you still have questions please let me know! I would be more than happy to help. 😀

Message 4 of 15

Thanks so much.   I don't know how I've missed that in the past.  I appreciate it.

Message 5 of 15

Does this still apply?  I'm unable to locate, please advise how to apply discounts on individual items

Message 6 of 15

Best Answer

Hey @kitora18!

Those instructions probably aren't the most updated. Once you have created the discount in the Online Dashboard, then you can follow these instructions to apply a discount to a line item in an Invoice:

1. Add an item or enter a custom amount within the Invoice. 
  2. Once added, select Customize, and then select which discount you would like to apply. 

Note: Only fixed-percentage discounts can be applied to a single item at this time. You cannot apply dollar amount discounts to individual items. 

I hope this answers your question. Please reply back in this thread with any additional questions. 

Isabelle

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 15

@Isabelle_ Thank you!  I've just tried this again, and there is still no way to add a specific discount to a line item.  It appears that discounts can only be applied to the total amount.  Please clarify.  Thank you!  

Message 8 of 15

This is how tom add discounts on each item, however the discount amount is not shown in the breakdown of items. It only shows the total discount at the bottom. Ideally the discounts need to be itemised so that customers can see the discount they got on what item and this will aid the customer on not only seeing the savings they made or item but also for accounting and tax purposes. For example, it would be more useful if the invoices either show a line underneath a discounted item showing the discount amount for that item. Or the original price with a strikethrough and then the discounted price next to it e.g:

Item 1 $10.00 5.00
Item 2 $20.00 $10.00

Message 9 of 15

Many times I offer a discount on the supplements sold, but not on the coaching/biofeedback provided during an office visit.  Is there any way to select certain items and apply a percentage discount to those items ?  (i.e. the supplements in this example).  The only way I have found is to just estimate the discount off the supplements.  For example, I would subtract a $10 discount for the entire invoice in order to provide a 10% discount on $100 in supplements.

Message 10 of 15

Thanks for posting @EllenErwin !!

Isabelle got you covered on this thread I moved you to. Take a look at the best answer up top. 

Justin
Message 11 of 15

@JustinC , @Kassi_  Thank you again for your comments.  There has to be an improved option by now.  It makes no sense that discounts cannot be applied to specific line items.  With the current setup, which is applying discounts to the total amount of items on an invoice, it will change the tax I am collecting on each of the items in the invoice.  I have items that have different tax percentages, i.e. services are taxed at 1.8%, goods are taxed at 8.025%.  Thank you so much for your quick review and feedback!  

Message 12 of 15

You can definitely apply discounts to single items within an invoice @EllenErwin.

I went ahead and tried it on my end:

You'll notice that after I selected customize, I was able to apply just one discount to cookie candle. It specifies 13% off Cookie Candle rather than all items. Did this work for you? Let me know if not, I'd love to look into this further 

Isabelle
Message 13 of 15

Hello,  I have created discounts on specific items which works fine when using a Point of Sale; Square App, Tablet.

But when creating an invoice the Auto Discount does not work.  I have to manually apply a discount.   Any reason why?  Can this be changed? 

Also, I would like to see the Percentage of the discount removed.  I feel as though the name you create for the discount should be the only thing visible to the customer, not the specific percentage applied.   I understand the customer could figure out the discount by doing the math.  But would prefer the merely see Farm Store Sale with the savings next to it. 

But wish the discount that I created to auto applied during checkout would also auto apply while creating an invoice. 

Message 14 of 15

Hey there, @GrimaldiFarms

Welcome to the Community and thank you for your post! I moved your post to a thread where other sellers have discussed this. Whenever we have more information from our Product Team, one of our Community Moderators will post a Product Update here. 

When it comes to auto-discounts, they are only applied when the item is added to checkout. So you would have to manually apply it when utilizing Invoices. 

Other sellers have expressed their need for this to be changed, so it will auto apply. 

Also, I appreciate your insight on how you use the percentage discounts. This gives us real-time on information on how you use the system. 

Kassi
Message 15 of 15