x

How to sell meat by weight with barcode scanner?

We recently opened a meat shop and thought it would be easy to scan barcodes. I've gone on quite the journey trying to find the right combo. We're currently using Square Register with 3 Hobart Quantum scales. I understand that the scales are a bit outdated and we're ready to replace them with a better option like CAS-1000 or something like. I just want to make sure the register will work with a scale. 

Right now we weigh meat, type in 3 digit PLU code, print and wrap, use printed label to hold it together.

At Square Register we then manually look up the item and type in the weight. Make sure everything matches before ringing up. Ideally we'd like to scan items.

Is there a page that has a list of scales that can print the proper barcodes?

Does anyone use the  Hobart HTi or the Bizerba X-Class that are mentioned here? https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/7419-scanning-bar-codes-from-label-printing-scales-on-point-... 

Seems like others might be having trouble with this as well.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MeatMarket - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

This page from our Support Center will let you know which barcode scanners and scales are compatible with your Square Register.

You are able to use label printing scales that support UPC-A and EAN-13 barcodes, such as the Hobart HTi or the Bizerba X-Class with Square Point of Sale. These scales measure the weight of an item and issue a barcode label that contains both an item’s SKU number as well as the total weight or price of an item. When items with these types of barcodes are scanned, the item’s weight and price information are automatically captured at your Point of Sale. This compatibility is available on Square Terminal, Square Register, and iOS devices. Price-embedded barcodes are also available with Square for Retail on Square Register and iOS devices.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2