x

How to temporarily deactivate Square Online Store

I am temporarily closing and want to just deactivate online store. How do I do that?

Message 1 of 29
2 Best Answers
Beta Member

Best Answer

Under your Weebly dashboard:

Website > General Settings > Unpublish

That will deactivate serving of your site, and you just flip the switch when you want it back. 

Depending on your domain provider you may be able to put in a single page "place holder" that explains.  You should consider also posting to your social media accounts that it's a temporary closure. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

@javamo You can also just turn off your orders instead of unpublishing your whole site. 

If you do Pickup Orders - You can go to settings, Pickup & Delivery - and turn off the Toggle for Pickup at the location.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Beta Member

Best Answer

Under your Weebly dashboard:

Website > General Settings > Unpublish

That will deactivate serving of your site, and you just flip the switch when you want it back. 

Depending on your domain provider you may be able to put in a single page "place holder" that explains.  You should consider also posting to your social media accounts that it's a temporary closure. 

Message 2 of 29
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

@javamo You can also just turn off your orders instead of unpublishing your whole site. 

If you do Pickup Orders - You can go to settings, Pickup & Delivery - and turn off the Toggle for Pickup at the location.

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 3 of 29

How does one do that?

Thanks,

Mark

Message 4 of 29
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @archibot 👋 Are you referring to how to disable your Online Store or are you looking to simply looking to turn off your orders?

I will keep an eye out for your response! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 29

HI Joe,

I need to just turn off the ability for people to order online but still allow them to see the menu. We are a pop up sushi bar and take pre-orders as we are only open 2 days a week. Is there a way to turn off the orders on square online (via weebly) and make sure people understand it is because you are sold out for the night? I do this on social media to explain but.a lot of people don't see that or check.

Thank you for any answers! 🙂

Message 6 of 29

Hi there, @Cyndi2 👋 Thanks for reaching out here on the Seller Community! 

Good question here! Pesso has a good walkthrough here on how to temporarily turn off orders - it should be helpful here.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

Joe
Message 7 of 29

Thank you so much!! We turned off the pick up toggle that I saw somewhere else on this site and it resulted in purchases this morning that we were not ready for.

Message 8 of 29

@Cyndi2 The problem was you probably went to Pickup and Delivery to toggle off instead of Checkout. Here are the steps:

1. Online Store

2. Settings

3. Checkout

4. Toggle off "Accept Online Orders"

Customers can still see your menu online.

I think if there was a more complicated way to do this, Square would have figured it out.

@Joe I got your note and I thank you for at least responding. Sometimes when you are desperate for answers and/or results, the silence can be deafening. This desire for a toggle on POS seems to be a very common and popular issue. Please? Either tell us it won't happen or tell us you are close to resolving this. The answers coming from the Square support people are not satisfactory. We learn more on our own than what we do from you. As you can tell, we are struggling with making a decision to jump ship, and you are probably wishing we would, or stumbling along and doing what we can to help others with the same issue.

Message 9 of 29

Hi Joe! Is there a way to toggle off "accept online orders" through the Point of Sale without the need to go to the dashboard?

Also, is there a way to mark an item unavailable on the POS directly instead of having the owner/manager sign on to the dashboard to manually mark the item as "Not Visible/Unavailable"

Message 10 of 29

Hello @Kchiao

Glad to see you posting in the community! 

I'm Frances and will be taking over for Joe here. 

I can see how it would be helpful to have the option to pause online orders from your POS, as well as marking items as unavailable. 

At the moment, this would be a feature request, and you can submit it here

Thank you, see you soon! 

Frances
Message 11 of 29

Here is what I did:

1. Logged into Square

2. Go to Online Store (this took me to weebly)

3. Click "Settings", then "Checkout". 

4. Toggle switch at top of that page that says "Accept online orders"

Here is what it shows below it now that toggled off.

Your online store is not currently accepting orders

You can toggle online ordering on or off. When off, items will still be on your site but not available for purchase.

Message 12 of 29

Can there be a button on square dashboard that let's you pause online orders? For example, perhaps you are busy and can't take anymore online orders for a certain time period. A simple toggle would let you either (1. pause orders indefinitely, or 2. pause orders until the close of business and it would start taking orders automatically after the close of business). This would be super helpful for us because then all of our employees could use this feature instead of contacting the owner to log into their account and turn online orders off. This is cumbersome and a pain if the owner is not near their phone/computer or not in the shop.

Message 13 of 29

Hi there, @greenecanteen 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Good to hear from you again! Thanks for dropping in here and adding your suggestions for Online Ordering.

I think we may be able to offer a helpful workaround here! I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who also inquired on temporarily pausing orders for the Online Store. This is doable! Take a look at this Best Answer from Pesso on this thread for more info.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions. We are here to help! 

Joe
Message 14 of 29

We agree! This is how its handled on DoorDash and works great.

There are a few options to pause online orders (30 min / 1 hr / 1.5hrs) and it automatically sends an email to the business address on file when it was deactivated. 

To pause orders for longer than 1.5 hrs, you have to manage from the online dashboard, which we appreciate because we dont want our staff to just turn it off indefinitely.

Message 15 of 29

Just read through this whole thread and can't believe this still isn't an option.  Frustrating because I just completed my entire site on square and now think I'm going to have to do it all over again on another service that offers this feature.   Does anyone know of one?  I've heard Chow Now is good

Message 16 of 29

I too, am both, amazed and very disappointed that we don't mean any more to Square than just to take our money and not provide services we desperately need during this time! I would probably be inclined to switch to a different pos if it wouldn't take so much time and for the learning curve!

Message 17 of 29

I need to reconnect my online store to my square account, but it keeps saying to contact support without a phone number or way to do that. My business is strictly online and I can not hear well on any phone. Is there a customer service person who can help me with this through email or texting to my registered phone number?

Message 18 of 29
Alumni

Hi @KMoonflower - If you're looking to republish your site, visit your Online Store Dashboard > General Settings > Publish. 

If you need more assistance, write in to our CS Team for a walkthrough! 

Justin
Message 19 of 29

Thanks for the info but unfortunately my issue is more complicated then that. I did finally get a hold of someone and there is a bug that is completely preventing me from accessing my website at all. 

Before I posted, I had already done what you suggested and still got an error message. 

Message 20 of 29
Beta Member

I don't like having to turn off the cart system every night. But if I don't customers keep ordering food thinking they can get that night, regardless of the hours posted. People just dont read. Is it possible to have it turn off/on automatically? Or must I manually do it, which can be a pain if I am not readily available.

Tags (1)
Message 21 of 29