x

I can't activate my Square Gift Cards

I have setup the gift card to be a variable type set under items.  When I select that and enter amount I can hit save.  After that I can go to gift cards and see it is setup but I don't know how to activate the card.  The directions that are available to activate are not clear.  Any help is appreciated.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hi @fix1, welcome and thanks for bringing this up. Sorry to hear about the trouble with your gift cards.

Below are the steps to issue gift cards. Can you let me know at which step you're getting stuck? Any screenshots or error messages that may come up will help me take a closer look.

1. Go to Checkout > tap the Item Library icon > and then tap Gift Cards.
  2. Select the amount to add to the gift card. 
  3. Swipe or enter the gift card number to activate it.
  4. If you swipe the gift card, the amount will automatically load. If you manually enter the gift card number, tap Load.
  5. To add additional items to the sale, tap the arrow to return to your item library or tap the keypad icon.
  6. Tap Charge to complete the sale.

I'll keep an eye out for your reply — if you'd like to speak with a team member about this over the phone, we're happy to do that too. Hope this helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 7

When trying to load new gift cards on account, I get an error of invalid card.  It appears I can load card on another account. We have two businesses.  How can I reassign cards to first account?

Message 3 of 7

Hello @Scfbrewdogs, welcome to the Seller Community! 

I have a couple questions for you. When you say, you can't load the cards onto a separate account are you referring to a completely separate Square Account? One that would require a separate email address and password when you login?  

Or are you referring to a different location within your Square Account? 

Gift Cards can only be used on the Square Account that they were ordered for. If you would like to use them for a different Square Account our Support Team can help migrate them to your other account. 

You should be able to issue Square Gift Cards for all the locations on your single account. Please let me know if this is the case. I want to help get to the bottom of this. 😀

Message 4 of 7

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Gift Cards Will Not Activate

I have plastic gift cards in my new store.. They were purchase through Square . They simply will not activate.

I have gone through all the settings.. both for e gift cards and for plastic cards and everything is ok

I tap gift card in my Library.. the screen appears to enter the gift card number. I slide the card.. nothing happens. If I type in the numbers manually they turn red and jump

HELP?

Message 5 of 7
Admin

Hello @whiskermouse22, so sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having loading gift cards! 

I've moved your post here so you can see the steps to load your Gift Card. You'll need to start from the Checkout section of the app, not the items section.

Or, do you have two separate Square accounts? Square Gift cards are compatible with businesses that have multiple locations. But if you have two different accounts under different email addresses you can only use Square Gift Cards with the account used to order your gift cards.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 7

Tom, I have the Square Terminal with POS Retail. I do not have either the LIBRARY or GIFT CARD option. I was able to sell a plastic on the APP but now cannot redeem it on either the APP or Terminal. I have a $40 sale I cannot process. Please get this "squared away". I need a straight answer and have already chatted twice and received emails. 

Message 7 of 7