x

I need to make non-taxable fee's for service. How do I do this ?

I had assumed that by turning off the tax rate, it would show in my report as non-taxable. Instead, it is showing as a sale that I just did not charge taxes on. How do I create a section for non-taxable items ? These would be service fees charged by our business that are a seperate line item on our sales.

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@IndigoSkin If you create an item for your service fee you can set it up in such a way that no sales tax will be applied to that item when it's added to a sale:

• When creating this item from the Items section of the app, scroll down to the taxes section and make sure all of your taxes are toggled off.
  • Or when creating the item from the Item Library on your Dashboard click All Taxes and then check the box at the top of the screen to remove all taxes automatically.

When you've set up this item you can add it to a sale and it will show as a separate line item, and that no tax was applied to that item.

I hope this helps! If you were looking for something or have any other questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Best Answer

@IndigoSkin If you create an item for your service fee you can set it up in such a way that no sales tax will be applied to that item when it's added to a sale:

• When creating this item from the Items section of the app, scroll down to the taxes section and make sure all of your taxes are toggled off.
  • Or when creating the item from the Item Library on your Dashboard click All Taxes and then check the box at the top of the screen to remove all taxes automatically.

When you've set up this item you can add it to a sale and it will show as a separate line item, and that no tax was applied to that item.

I hope this helps! If you were looking for something or have any other questions please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 4

I've created my service as an item (with no sales tax) but i have a few questions: How can i avoid having to add quantity for my "Service" item? It seems items require quantity in order to add them to a sale but there's no actual quantity? I considered adding an initial dummy inventory of 10 and then balance at the end of each month but this is unnecessary work. How is cost handled for service items? There's actually no cost involved and i considered a 1 cent cost to satisfy the system but that doesn't seem right. Thanks.
Message 3 of 4
Admin

@zcommons When you create an item should be able to leave the inventory level blank. To disable inventory tracking for a specific item: 

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and go to the Items section.
  2. Click on the name of a specific item.
  3. Click Edit Stock Tracking > toggle off the swtich under Track.

This won't prevent you from selling the item from the app. You should also be able to set the item price to $0. Is it that you sell some items, but also provide services that are free? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 4