x
Square

Introducing Square Register

Square Register is a purpose-built, complete point of sale system. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

Square Register-1.png

The Square Register features a customer facing display to let your customers track items, complete sales, and update contact information on their own. The dedicated customer display lets customers pay intuitively while our fast card processing speed keeps your line moving.

Square Register-2.png

You can also connect printers, cash drawers and scanners, using USB or Ethernet depending of the accessory. Check out a full list of our supported hardware on our Support Center.

Square Register is available for purchase individually for $999 or as a kit with accessories included for $1499 at the Square shop.

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86

I suspect it's because Square may not truly be just one company, but rather multiple operations working under a single licensed name brand.

POS, Register, Retail, Appointments, even Cash. From all I can tell, they're separate operations entirely. If I'm wrong, then I'm baffled as to why they don't seem to be better coordinated.

Message 43 of 87
Beta Member

@EJ_ how can I get a phone call with a rep to discuss Register further? I've called support and the rep took my request last week, but I still have not been contacted by anyone.  Does the dashboard change for Square Register users? If we are using Square Payroll and Homebase, does anything get affected?  From the video, it looks like Register can be used just like the old POS. Other than loosing our Fresh KDS compatibility and pricing structure, why would a cafe not want to switch?  With the improved inventory management (cost of goods, etc), will Square sync item sales or category sales to Quickbooks? If there are major improvements with inventory, it helps offset some of cost difference.  Can you get someone to call us?

Message 44 of 87

If you’re happy with paying an extra 10 cents per transaction which equals hundreds of dollars a month then yeah go ahead. 

Message 45 of 87
Admin

Hey @VCB, thanks for reaching out and for your interest! I've surfaced your post with the proper team members and someone will be reaching out directly to the email address that's associated with your account. Please keep an eye on your inbox for a followup. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 46 of 87
Super Seller

The additional $.10/swipe on top of a ~2.5% fee is pretty standard with all mobile POS companies, including Revel/Clover/etc... Even traditional merchant processors charge an additional swipe fee on top of their regular fees... You might say that Square has been quite generous by not charging an additional fee w/ the old register setup. 

Just saying, that it is not an uncommon practice with merchant processing.

Message 47 of 87

I have clover and they do not charge 0.10 per swipe what are you talking about? 

Message 48 of 87
Super Seller

@George1991 I guess I was a little uninformed w/ that comment. A while back when I was in touch with a Clover salesman, I was quoted for an Interchange Plus rate. He (like any good salesman would) promised our rates would be lower than the merchant processor we were currently using (depending on the card type: ~1-4% + $0.06/swipe). I didn't realize but, Clover does in addition to traditional pricing structures, have a flat-fee based price as well. The same probably does go for Revel as well I guess. 

All that being said. A fee, based on the card type, plus a /swipe fee (Intercharge/Cost Plus) is common practice with merchant processing... And you usually end up paying less than the flat-fee price models.

Message 49 of 87

I'm disappointed as well.  I was really waiting for a refresh of the square hardware, as the stand is looking more and more dated in my restaurant.

With my, around 20$ average check, and my 31,000 transactions, it would cost me around 3800 annually to upgrade, which obviously makes it out of the question.

Really wish they had atleast updated the aesthetics of the stand to match the look of the register for those of us where it's not cost effective to make the change, yet still would like a more up to date look of our equipment.

Seems more and more that Square is turning into a regular old-school POS system instead of a Merchant processor that actually had benefit.

It's too bad, as getting away from the old school POS mentality is what brought me to square in the first place.

Message 50 of 87
Super Seller

@gdesanto you should call for custom pricing because you are well above the minimum of 250,000 and the custom rate overrides the extra $.10 per transaction.  We have 2.25% rate based on our volume of credit card transactions and high average ticket sale of $78.  https://squareup.com/sales

Message 51 of 87
Beta Member

In regards to the Square % fees, we've been waiting for a reply for our account review. We've sent our information a couple weeks ago and followed up with inquiry emails, but are getting zero responce from "support".  It feels like something is changing and not for the better.  With the new Register, Square is aligning itself with the rest of the POS systems. I guess its time to take a look at Lavu, Clover and the rest again.

Message 52 of 87
Beta Member

I would buy this for my cafe in a heartbeat if it weren't for the altered processing fee. (Avg sale 5-6$). I use kds as well (it's nice not having to make space for a printer and to have to buy rolls of paper), so without that integration it's a no go. Would rather square come up with it's own tablet printer since kds will never get updated. I hope square reconsiders the processing fee.

Message 53 of 87
Beta Member

just did the math, the new fee structure on the register would give me a rate of 3.94%.

:c whyyyy

Message 54 of 87

Currenly using Square POS in Bahrain (the global version). Assuming I get ahold of Register, would I be able to use it? Credit card processing isn't required but front facing screen is great.

Message 55 of 87
Square Community Moderator

Hi @rootscafe

Unfortunately Bahrain isn't a country that we support for payments, so I can't guarantee that anything will work for you nor can I recommend any strategy around this. 

We're always looking to bring Square to new markets, so if anything changes I'll chime back in and update you. 

Message 56 of 87
Beta Member

Square just made a HUGE improvement to the appointments app and I am loving it! Is the Appointments App compatible with the new Square POS?

Message 57 of 87
Alumni

Hey @staticms, the appointments app is not compatible with Square Register - but I'm glad to hear you like the new appointments app! 🙌 

Message 58 of 87

This is very dissappointing to me. I was ready to buy the register but if the appointment software isn't on the register it absolutely won't work for me. You're missing a large market. High end salons/spa/tattoo parlors enjoy fancy new hardware too.

Message 59 of 87

Is this on the radar?

Message 60 of 87
Square Community Moderator

@brittp0p Our Register team is actively tracking the feedback around this. We don't have any updates in regards to roadmaps or timelines, but if something comes up we'll definitely let you know 👍🏼

Message 61 of 87
Beta Member

It seems there are multiple companies coming out with dedicated custom android to serve up their pos and Creidt card processing.  I am fine with this and the hardware options are nice for running the exact software the companies allow.  Clover, NCR silver register, Poynt, Carbon, and a couple other come to mind. 

I understand some of these systems must be stripped down versions of android for security purposes to allow certain functions like onscreen pin entry.   

My question is will we be able to install other android apps on the square regsiter of our choosing or will this version of Android be locked down as well?  I use  Google drive to store and print .PDFS off to a laser printer to get customers manuels, instructions, MDSD sheets etc all day long.  Will we still be able to do this on Register or will it be locked down like the many other custom verisions of android running on their own hardware?

Also, I think that the customer facing display on register is exactly what it should be for the Ipad.  Lets get the customer display and chip reader and swipe all in one.  I think the customer display for register is a home run if it can be made available for use with IPAD down the road.

Message 62 of 87
Alumni

@Diy thanks for your post and for thinking through the potential of using Register for your busienss. I'm sorry to report that you won't be able to download or use other Android apps on the Square Register - you'll just be able to use the software provided with it. 

Message 63 of 87