x

Invoices: How do I take a deposit?

In my store I have customers needed to put down a partial payment for an item I’m ordering.  So I have created an invoice then went back and added a payment.  I the problem is they want to pay with a card and it would allow it.  Also when does the sale show up in the transactions.  When the invoice is paid in full?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @Ntuxedo 

When you create an invoice, there is a spot near the bottom that says "Request Deposit."  You can put in the dollar amount needed and send on the invoice. Your customer can then pay that amount themselves via their invoice email. It doesn't look like you can accept deposits on the apps right now (someone want to check me on that?)

As for the payment, the deposit will show up in your bank account as a usual payment, but the actual sale will not be counted in reports until the invoice is paid in full.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @Ntuxedo 

When you create an invoice, there is a spot near the bottom that says "Request Deposit."  You can put in the dollar amount needed and send on the invoice. Your customer can then pay that amount themselves via their invoice email. It doesn't look like you can accept deposits on the apps right now (someone want to check me on that?)

As for the payment, the deposit will show up in your bank account as a usual payment, but the actual sale will not be counted in reports until the invoice is paid in full.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

We have mainly a repair shop with partial retail. 

We send out estimates for repairs and sometimes will need a deposit.

Is there a way to take in a partial payment that can be applied to a future invoice?

Thomas T Nguyen
Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Yes! We offer Deposit Requests with Invoices. You can set the remaining balance to be due later. 

@ryanwanner gives the rundown on a thread I moved your post to. I hope this helps!

@a440

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

Why doesn’t the Square Invoice app for iPhone let you request deposits on estimates and invoices?

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller

@RockfordCater It should.  I'm not sure how much, if any it differs from the Android Version.  But make sure that ACH Bank transfers is not checked under Payment Methods.  Once you remove that option,  you will see the payment schedule show up, and you can then edit that to request a deposit. 

Dan
Scorpion Coating Plus,LLC
Square Super Seller
Check out Square support center for additional help.
Message 6 of 8

Aha! See they don’t tell you that! Thanks!

Message 7 of 8

Thanks @Minion that was the directions I needed. 

Message 8 of 8