x

Invoices for internal use only

Hello all. New User here.

I am wanting to use invoices internally to track tasks.

Let me explain a bit. We are a tailoring and alterations business. We'll set this example up as alterations to a dress.

During a fitting appointment, we pin the dress and determine what needs to be done to the dress. We want to track the itemized alterations to be done, but we do not want to give the itemized list to the customer.(It makes the receipt a mile long if there is a lot of things to be done.) We use internal/industry jargon and have found that to be confusing to many customers in the past at brick & mortar shops we have worked at, and they stopped doing itemized in the POS at those locations. We are offering this service in a mobile format(we go to the people), and square is great for collecting mobile payment, hence why I am here. 🙂

My thought is to use an internal email for all invoices to be sent, and use that as a default on the invoice itself, Identifying each invoice by Customer Name, and then printing the invoice to attach to the dress bag indicating what needs to be done. (The dress will already be pinned and such at the fitting appointment.) The customer would never receive the invoice, only the internal email would. To collect payment we would have an item ex. "Total Alterations" with a variable amount we would enter by keypad from the invoice (eliminating the itemized Items/tasks portion on the receipt), and then be able to add any individual items purchased that are taxable from our Item Library.

My questions are:

1. Would this adversely affect any reports we would generate to use for Tax purposes?

2. Am I creating, or stumbling into, any app-related problems by using invoices in this manner?

All billing will still be done via the Square App at the time of the fitting, and payment collected...so I am thinking it would not be an issue, but I wanted to ask more experienced users, and any Square support staff that may read this, to make sure I would not be causing myself more headaches than necessary.

Thanks in advance for any and all input/suggestions.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hey @Harvey!

Thanks for reaching out.

While we don't currently have the feature the you're looking for, I have passed it along to our Product Team as a feature request. Unfortunately, if this feature were developed, I'm unsure about how this would impact your tax reporting. 

@pessosices, I know you don't use invoices too often, but any suggestions here? 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 2