x

Is it possible to allow editing of invoice date?

I have customers that need to use purchase orders.  The PO approval must be on or before the invoice date.  Being able to edit the date of an invoice would be very helpful.

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You could just duplicate the invoice after it is approved, and cancel the original.  A quote system would definitely work out well for you too.  This would allow you to give them the quote, then send them an invoice at the appropriate time.  Here's a thread I created last week about this:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Feature-Request-Invoices-Quote-Toggle/m-p/7674...

@puka

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Would your customers accept it in the title of the invoice?  I always put the date in my title (i.e.- April 11th Lunch) so I can identify the invoice quickly.

Message 2 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

I know it's not the best option, but I don't believe you can backdate.

Message 3 of 8

Not to back date, but to actually move the date forward after the purchase is approved.

Message 4 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

You could just duplicate the invoice after it is approved, and cancel the original.  A quote system would definitely work out well for you too.  This would allow you to give them the quote, then send them an invoice at the appropriate time.  Here's a thread I created last week about this:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Feature-Request-Invoices-Quote-Toggle/m-p/7674...

@puka

Message 5 of 8
Beta Member

The date of an invoice should be when a sale is recorded.  That's the most common practice and square should follow suit instead of creating a "sale" when the invoice is actually paid.  

Invoices are delivered to a customer when product is delivered to them.  That's when the sale should be recorded and when inventory should be deducted.  We are considering not using square for invoices anymore because of this reason.  When we invoice a customer weekly for deliveries we make every week and they pay multiple invoices with one check a month later, Square says that all of the sales all happened on one day when the check arrives instead of each week when the product is delivered.  

This not only effects inventory but it skews our COGS reporting as well.  All that labor and product went out the door and was technically sold (and invoiced) in a previous month, but Square doesn't recognize the sale until it is finally paid.  This makes COGS for the previous month higher than it should be and it lowers it in the month that the invoice is paid.  This is not normal practice.  

Square just needs to make a setting that allows each user to choose how they want to recognize the sale for invoices.  Please make this happen.  It would be much easier than switching to quickbooks for all of our invoicing, but we may need to go that route.  

Message 6 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Malvernbuttery and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to a thread where this question has been answered already from another seller.

Check out the Best Answer and posts above from @ACAcatering for details and a workaround they provided.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 8
Beta Member

Hey @ashc ,

The above thread and answer don't really have anything to do with my question.  

I am mainly referring to the difference between accrual and cash accounting and when I want to record a sale.  When I invoice a customer, that's when the sale is made.  It shouldn't matter how long it takes them to pay.  I have some customers that pay 4 invoices with one check.  The sale should be when each invoice is dated, not when the payment is received.  

Seems like a simple thing to code into a setting.  

Message 8 of 8