x

Is the Square hub required to connect a USB barcode scanner to the Square Terminal?

Basically, do I need the Square hub to connect a USB barcode scanner to my Square Terminal or can I get any USB c to USB 3.0 adapter? Does the hub have any software or is it just a cable?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Admin

Hey @NatCo, you'll need the Hub to connect a USB barcode scanner (or any USB hardware) to the Square Terminal. The Hub is just a cable box with no software. 

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 8

Does the hub need to be plugged into an electrical socket? I am often at locations where no electricity is available. What power does the hub run off of? The terminal? An outside battery? I'm confused about if I can use this vendoring at a comic con without needing electricity.

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @CoolStuffEgypt - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋 I can certainly provide some clarity on the Square Terminal.

The Terminal will come with a power adapter and power adapter cable which you will use to charge the Terminal's battery power. However, you do not need to keep the Terminal on the charger once you have the desired battery amount, similar to charging a cell phone. You would only need the optional Hub if you plan to connect the Terminal to an internet network via Ethernet vs Wi-Fi or if you have any USB accessories, like a bar code scanner, that you'd like to use. You can find additional details here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

I use my terminal at events that have no electric. I recently purchased a hub and scanner. 

What is the wattage needed to run the terminal, hub and scanner? Would a battery inverter work and if so what is the suggested power level needed? Thanks.

Message 5 of 8

Hi @Clink - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I was able to get the following information on the Square Terminal's battery power. However, it's important to note that in order to use a USB scanner with the Square Terminal's USB accessory hub, you must have the hub connected to a power source.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 6 of 8

Thank you so much! I do have the hub and it’s connected to power outlet on my Halo. However this past weekend and it died within an hour. Looking to improve battery power for running it at local events. So I guess I’m asking about the hub needed wattage? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Message 7 of 8

Hi there again, @Clink 

Someone from the Hardware Team was able to provide me with this information:

"Hub can negotiate below power levels based on how much power the adaptor can source. In case the PD negotiation fails, it will fallback to the lowest voltage 5V or stop powering up

1. 5V, 3A
  2. 9V, 2A
  3. 15V, 3A
  4. 20V, 2.25A"

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 8 of 8