x

Is there a way for a first-time customer to enter their own card to go on file before being charged?

If I wanted to create a wholesale invoice to send to a customer and the lead time is say, 3 weeks, but I want to require a valid card from them to keep on file while I am preparing the order, is there a way for the customer to enter it themselves when they receive the invoice, but not actually pay it yet? Then I would charge that card when I ship the order? I am looking on Square, and the only option I see is me knowing what the card number is and me having to enter it myself for storage - OR the customer enters the number themselves when they receive the invoice, but has to pay the invoice (instead of it just being stored). 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

The only way I can see to make your situation work would be to create the invoice, check the box that allows the customer to save the card info, and then ask for a deposit on the invoice. You can make it for any amount starting at $1. Set the invoice to be due at the end of your three week lead time. You may have to go through and manually charge the card after the deposit instead of it being auto-paid. I’m not sure how adding a card on file to a deposit will work with the final payment. 

More info on collecting deposits.

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 2