x

New to Square Payroll and I’m waiting on the withholding account number how do I bypass this?!

It’s time to run payroll for Friday and I want my employees to get paid on time as this is the first payroll run. The state of MS Said they are behind on issuing account withholding numbers so how can I bypass this in the setting to run payroll? 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Hi @SnoBizCanton , welcome to Square Payroll!  🎉

You can temporarily enter all 1s for your state tax ID (SEIN). As soon as you receive your valid SEIN from your state tax agency, you will need to update this information in your Payroll dashboard. I also included some common questions and answers from employers who have gone through this process : ) 

What happens when you enter all 1's instead of a valid SEIN?

1. You will receive an email notification from Square stating we have an invalid account number.
2. You will see a banner in your Payroll dashboard stating we have an invalid account number.

What are the payroll tax implications if a valid SEIN is not provided?
1. Square is unable to make any state tax filings on your behalf.
2. Square is unable to make any state tax payments on your behalf. If we do not have a valid SEIN by the time these payments are due we will refund the taxes withheld to your bank account.

Message 2 of 4

I had my first event and want to issue paychecks.  Michigan has not given me a UIA number so Square isn't letting me generate a pay stub or pay my employees/

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Thanks for joining the Seller Community, @sthawkin. And good question!

Check out this post where @Layrun gives a few workaround options while you're waiting on that number. Feel free to tag her if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 4 of 4