x

Option to create separate item modifiers in POS vs Online Store

Beta Member

Option to create separate item modifiers in POS vs Online Store

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Need different Item modifiers for Online Store

I use some special sets of modifiers for my items to print out various information to our employees to fulfill an order. These same modifiers are not wanted for the customer to see in our Online Store. It seems that if I remove the modifier set on the Online Store it syncs back to Square and also removes that modifier on my original item. Is there any way to assign different modifier sets (or remove modifier sets) between the Online Store and the Square Register? It does appear I can hide specific items withing the modifier set and that does not affect my original item.

19 Comments
Beta Member

We are having the same issue. One example is that all of our modifier sets have a "No Make" option that is very useful to us but means nothing to the customer. 

We would also like to be able to unlink item names from our Square POS and our Square online store. This is because we have had to abbreviate and acronym a lot of our items. For example, Jalapeno Cheese Sausage takes up our entire KDS screen so we need it to be JCS. 

Currently the solution would be to have a duplicate of each item, one that is on our POS and the other that is on our online store. This is not a perfect fit though because online orders would still be sent to our kitchen with very long names. 

Alumni

@vhovar - I'm afraid any edits to modifiers from the Online Store side will reflect on the POS side (and vice versa) as long as the Square Sync is turned on in Online Store Settings. 

Looks like @ATKM adopted the best workaround - create duplicate items with different modifier sets and assign them to two different locations (one location synced with Online Store and the other location specific to POS). 

Beta Member

@JustinC - Thanks for the response. It's unfortunate that there isn't a better way. We have quite a few items and I really don't want to have to duplicate my entire catalog of items just because we can't manage our online store independent of POS side.

Also, I do want to clarify that the only effect the Sync setting has it to sync or not sync the description attribute. From what I see on the Product Sync setting, all other attributes that are sync'd will continue to do so. I don't see an overall setting that would simply stop the sync overall?

Beta Member

So I have a question now.  I do not have multiple locations, but do want the online orders to have a different set of modifiers.  My servers have access to a lot of different modifiers while taking dine-in orders.  I don't necessarily want the public to have that many options when ordering online.  1.  It's a lot of information  2.  It clutters the process.

I could make an additional location that is simply named "online", but according to my subscription that would incur an additional fee of $60 mos. for the location.

My other option would to duplicate every item I want online with it's own set of modifiers.. but we have a lot of items and my staff quite often does a search for the item to ring it up.  It's much faster than screen punching.  So now the search will pull up two identical items.  

Admin

Hello @vhovar. I'm jumping in for @JustinC today.

The items in your Square Item Library sync automatically. There's not a setting to turn off or on to change those syncing habits overall. Sorry for any confusion.

Admin

Hey @lovemychaos-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community.

I see what you're talking about, and I know it would be easier if Online Store and In-Store had separate modifiers, but at this time, the items and their modifiers sync automatically between Online Store and the Item Library.

I moved your post over to this thread, so you could take a look at @JustinC's best answer for a workaround suggestion. If we launch a feature that allows different modifiers per item for Online Store and In-Store, we'll be sure to post in this thread. Thanks again for this post! 

Hello, I own a brewery and am trying to sell pre-order growlers and crowlers online. For inventory purposes our instore POS has "Beer Samples" modifiers that add on when a consumer is at the bar. But we don't want that modifier on our website because they obviously can't get samples online. Is there a way to do this?

I have the same issue. Did you ever hear back from Square if they would charge another $60/mo just to have another location called on-line? Thank you!

Admin

Hello @OneAllegiance ! 🍻

I moved your post to this thread which addresses your question, and also has a workaround, since you'll see that it's not possible to separate the modifiers from POS to Online Store.

Check it out- and hope it helps!

Beta Member

I did not.  But what I did do is completely redo my modifiers so it was user friendly for online ordering... and found it actually streamlined the server process as well.  So while I grumbled for a good week about it when doing it... i ended up with a much more efficient way of doing things.

My staff used the conversational ordering on modifiers very heavily.  I had to redo every modifier as if the conversational ordering did not exist.  This made it online friendly for the public, and sped up the process for the servers.  Win win.

This is what we did, if you'd like to check it:

ryderssaloon.com