x

Regarding number of customers vs number of emails?

Hey all --

Can someone explain why we have 1500+ customers, but only 241 customer emails?

I assume Square has all these customer emails, so I'm not sure why they wouldn't be available to us, since they are "our" customers.

Perhaps at least as a "pass-thru", where I can for instance send a newsletter to ALL my customers, but can't see the actual emails if they for some reason cannot be shared directly with me?

Obviously, having access to my 1500+ customers would be a potential gold mine (particularly in combination with my website customer database), but only having access to email 241 is more like a coal mine...LOL.

Any insight?

Thanks!

John

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hey @JohnMcArdle-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

Customers already subscribed to Automatic Receipts are included in the Reachable group of your Customer Directory and can be emailed via Square Marketing, but their email address will remain confidential.

To ensure you’re able to email all customers, you can email them a receipt after their purchase, use our Email Collection Tools, and manually collect their contact info during a sale. That way they their email address will be in your Customer Directory, and visible to you. 

One of the benefits of Square Marketing is that although you cannot see the email addresses of sellers that have received automatic receipts, they are still reachable to receive a marketing email via Square. 

I hope this is helpful. If not, feel free to reply back in this thread. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 4

Hi Isabelle!

Thank you for your reply.

I don't necessarily need my customers' email address will be in my Customer Directory, and visible to me, so long as I can contact them (all of them, or at least some large percentage of them) thru Square.

Our POS transactions occur mainly at festivals, which are almost always environments that are hectic and busy. We do not typically have the luxury of collecting customer emails during those transactions. Otherwise, I wouldn't look to Square for this capability.

I've read thru the links, but I'm not clear how we get customers to "subscribe to automatic receipts".  Can you clarify?

Best,

John

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @JohnMcArdle-

Thanks for your reply. 

Automatic receipts are actually not a business/seller specific feature. Automatic receipts through Square is something we offer to our buyers as a payment processor, meaning that if they subscribe to automatic receipts, they will be sent a digital receipt every time they make a purchase with any Square seller. 

The best way to learn more about this would be to take a look at this article on Automatic Receipts.

I hope that clears things up, but if not, please feel free to reply back to me. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 4 of 4