x

Square Invoice ID - Not Showing In List - Won't let me use prior number not used

I was in the middle of creating an invoice, and when I deleted the invoice to start over (because there was another invoice I could just 'copy' to make it faster) the invoice number would not repopulate.

When I deleted invoice 2570, and went to next prepare my invoice, it won't let me use 2570 as the next recurring number!  It lets you change the invoice number and type it in, but as soon as you click Create Invoice, it says "That Invoice ID has already been used." 

This has been a problem for years with Square Invoice.  Why am I not able to use Invoice 2570?

Also when I use the list to search for invoice numbers, it is NOWHERE to be found!! This is unacceptable.  How do I explain THAT to my Accountant, as to why I have disappearing invoice numbers?  At the VERY LEAST there should be a list or category that these show up in, such as "deleted invoices" or something.  Now I had to send my client Invoice 2571, and it really should be 2570 for accurate bookkeeping.  This is sending me over the edge tonight, because it is VERY BASIC BUSINESS SENSE to have the capability to use ALL my invoice numbers.  AND furthermore, to be able to print a RANGE of invoice numbers, and see EVERY single invoice number account for, regardless if it is a draft, paid, sent, etc.

VERY unhappy about this!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Did you ever get a resolution? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Message 2 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @DolceDolce - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to bring this to our attention. Firstly, I must apologize for the frustration you've felt from Square Invoices. We certainly do not wish for you to have this type of experience when using our products or services.

I took some time to reach out to our Invoices Product Team to gain more insight into the issue you've described here. Also tagging you, @monkeytruck, so you can see this information as well:

"This issue is limited to when the Square Seller duplicates another invoice and then abandons it. When the Seller enters this flow, we preemptively create an invoice in the database, which necessitates that we reserve the invoice number for it. It gets created in an UNPUBLISHED state, and if it is abandoned and remains in that state, it will be pruned in 24 hours, and the number is released back.

Now that I think about it, I’m not really sure why we persist with the invoice in the database in the first place in that flow.  We will look into updating this in the future. No timelines are available on the update."

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions or feedback.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 3 of 5

Hello @_Violet  - 

It appears this is still happening as I tried to duplicate an existing invoice, went to send it, but it errored out and would not send. Then, attempting to manually draft an invoice using the same ID, it errored out advising that the ID has already been used.

Are we certain that the Invoice ID will be released in 24 hours? Also, why did it error out on me in the first place? 

Message 4 of 5
Square Community Moderator

Hi @NCF_CPCU - I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with Invoices 😔

This does sound off, but it's difficult to pinpoint what may be happening without looking at your account and Invoice with you, which we aren't able to do via the Seller Community. For this type of issue, I suggest that you get in touch with our Support Team. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here. They can also collect some details from you if they determine a support ticket is needed for our engineers.

Thank you!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 5 of 5