x

Square KDS Incoming Order Sound

Hi, my business just switched from Toast to Square and is using Square KDS due to Toast going downhill very fast since they're going IPO.

On Toast System, the KDS play a very loud alert sound when there is an incoming order, and you can customize this alert. On Square KDS, all I got is a small ding that is really hard to hear in the kitchen. I tried to find a way to make this sound louder or use a different sound but all I got is dead end. Seems like there is no thread relating to this notification sound so I'm starting one here.

Can anyone hep me with this one? Thanks a million!

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Make sure you go into the ipad settings and make sure you have notification sounds turned up all the way.  This is the best way to make sure you get a sound that you can hear.  Right now, iOS is super locked down, so changing individual app sounds is next to impossible without jailbreaking your device (don't recommend).

You could try using apple's airplay to mirror the device to a TV/monitor with a larger speaker and make things quite a bit louder.

I will definitely pass along, as I totally agree with you.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller

Best Answer

Make sure you go into the ipad settings and make sure you have notification sounds turned up all the way.  This is the best way to make sure you get a sound that you can hear.  Right now, iOS is super locked down, so changing individual app sounds is next to impossible without jailbreaking your device (don't recommend).

You could try using apple's airplay to mirror the device to a TV/monitor with a larger speaker and make things quite a bit louder.

I will definitely pass along, as I totally agree with you.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 8

So I have tried the mirror option. I still cannot get the sound to play on the mirrored monitor. Other ap sounds play just fine. But nothing from KDS. Any other options?

Message 3 of 8
Square Community Moderator

I know this is frustrating @THEBENCH. When you have a moment I would recommend reaching out to ur Restaurants team so they can better help investigate why the sound is not working as expected. 

Please reach out directly here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

Having the same issue.

We've tried connecting to a bluetooth speaker, but the notification sounds do not play. Is there a setting that would allow the sounds to go through to an external speaker?

Message 5 of 8

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with this setting, @commonscompany! Can you hear a ding when an order comes in, and your device isn't connected to a speaker? Which device are you using with KDS? 

Message 6 of 8

So sorry for the slow reply! Yes, we hear a notification sound when a ticket shows through the normal speakers. The sound DOES NOT play through the external speaker. We are using iPad Pro 11".

Message 7 of 8

Hey there @commoncompany 👋

In this case I would suggest getting in touch with our support team. Our Support team would be able to look into this with you! When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here: squ.re/contactsqsupport

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8