x

Subscription Help

Ok, so I'm looking at creating subscriptions on my website. I understand that currently I can create a checkout link to do this which I can then share in email, social media etc. 

Is there a way I can add this option to my store on my Square online website? At the moment it will just show as an item with a single payment option... It would be great if it could show as a recurring monthly payment instead...

Message 1 of 20
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @phillipsrw, thanks for the post and your feedback again. Regarding the customer name, you can add up to 2 custom fields to your checkout page using the Advanced settings. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to your Online Checkout Dashboard and search or click on the checkout link you want to edit 

2. In the Checkout link details, please click Edit

3. Click Advanced Settings > click on the + sign next to Add custom field

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Emma
Community Manager, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 14 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Admin

Hi @NurturedbyNatur, thanks for contacting us! At the moment, it isn't possible to setup recurring or subscription payment on the Square Online site. This feature is only available with the Checkout Link.

Our team are always working to improve our products based on feedback like this so I'll be sure to share your suggestion with the team for future releases.

Tra
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 2 of 20

I am really stuck on this ! Am I able to add a subscription for an item I am selling.  Please help? 

Message 3 of 20
Admin

Hi @Linzi, thank you for your post! 

It still isn't possible to setup recurring or subscription payment on the Square Online site. This is something that you can set up with the Checkout Link

You can setup a subscription Checkout Link and add it as a description to your item or add it to a page on your website. However, the Checkout Link will be independent from your item, so the subscription checkout will be different from the item checkout. 

Tra
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 4 of 20

Is this likely to become possible in the future? We would like to add a subscription option on our Square online shop.

Message 5 of 20

Hi @Ceranne - Thanks for reaching out! Additionally, Welcome to the Square Seller Community🎉

We've had some sellers who were able to set up this type of item successfully in the Online Store. To best fit your needs, I recommend getting in touch with our Square Online Store Support Team. They will be able to advise the most efficient way to set up your items.

You can contact Support here or give us a call at 0800 - 098 8008, Mon-Fri, 9AM-5PM.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 20
Super Seller

Hi @_Violet 

I have tried to setup a subscription based system on our website where customers can subscribe to a monthly hot chocolate delivery, but I think I have misunderstood how subscriptions work. 

We have set up three plans, with a monthly cycle one for milk, one for dark and one for white chocolate. This all works fine but on testing it we noticed there were no means of adding an address so we get the order but subscribers can't add a delivery address. 

Is this achievable add an address or have I misunderstood the subscription function and what it us actually designed to do.

Any thoughts?

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 7 of 20
Super Seller

Reading about ubscriptions, I may be wrong but what a subscription in the US seems to mean something different in the UK.

My interpretation of a subscription is say a customer wants to subscribe to a monthly coffee delivery, where they pay monthly £10, and we dispatch the coffee pouch, but the customer has the option to cancel or pause the subscription at any point. Is the Square Subscription capable of doing this or is it meant to work differently?

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 8 of 20

Hey @phillipsrw. At the moment, the subscriptions feature for the Checkout Links is not designed to facilitate item subscriptions, as it is more designed to set up a recurring payment to be collected. I can see why it would be useful, so I'll pass your feedback to our teams.

To create a subscription:

1. From your Square Dashboard, go to Payments > Subscriptions > Create a subscription.
  2. Enter your customer’s information.
  3. Add a note, if needed.
  4. Click Add Plan to choose from your available plans.
  5. Adjust the price or add sales tax.
  6. Enter the customer’s billing information, including: location, start date and payment method. If your customer has a card on file, it will appear here.
  7. Review your plan and click Start.

Note: Adjusting the price in a customer’s subscription will not change the original price you set for the plan. The change will not carry over to the next customer who subscribes to the plan.

Learn more about getting started with Subscriptions.

I'd also recommend getting in touch with SuperPay, as they have an integration designed to set up recurring payments with us too. The integration allows you to:
• Create payment plans with fully customizable collection dates and intelligent retries for failed payments.
• Collect payments from any number of customers via email, messaging, or embedded on your website.

Recurring payments are synced to your Square account so you can see all your transactions in one place. Learn more about the SuperPay integration with Square, including their pricing and plans.

Let me know if that helps!

Message 9 of 20
Super Seller

Thanks, thought something wasn't sitting well with my interpretation of a subscription in Square, yhere but not quiet. Shame you can't add delivery details to a subscription as this would be fabulous, we could then offer coffee by post subscriptions via online etc. May be one for Square to consider in the future.

Many thanks 😊 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 10 of 20

Thanks @phillipsrw for raising this. Our teams constantly aim to improve our products based on feedback like this, so I will share your feedback with our Product team.

Emma
Message 11 of 20
Super Seller

That would be great. Many of the online retailers offer subscriptions which are slightly different to what Square offers at the moment, may be its a uk thing?. To be honest you/Square are pretty much there with the subscription. We figured it all out on the website and it worked really nice, just the address aspect. It should be a relatively quick tweek ( aren't they always lol), but it should expand this existing Square service and take to another level while broadening the appeal for use. If I can be of further assistance in developing this please feel free to ask. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 12 of 20
Super Seller

Hi @k_atie  the current subscription is really good, all works well, pause cancel etc. The link works perfectly on the website. A little tweek with the addition of an address field and whoosh we have a subscription that would work on the website. Easy peasy 😁. The link below is what we are trying to achieve with subscription.

Https://cocochemistry.co.uk/drinking-chocolate-subscription 

We are currently asking subscribers to add their name to the notes section of the checkout. Bit messy and not very elegant. There are lots of other things that could be fine to make next level like drop down selection boxes tathervthan having three separate links but at the minimum the address fields would make the online subscriptions work. 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 13 of 20

Best Answer

Hi @phillipsrw, thanks for the post and your feedback again. Regarding the customer name, you can add up to 2 custom fields to your checkout page using the Advanced settings. To do so, please follow the steps below:

1. Go to your Online Checkout Dashboard and search or click on the checkout link you want to edit 

2. In the Checkout link details, please click Edit

3. Click Advanced Settings > click on the + sign next to Add custom field

I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any questions. 

Emma
Message 14 of 20
Super Seller

Hi @Emma, thank you for stepping in. This is fantastic and resolved this issue perfectly and does exactly what we were looking to achieve. Extremely happy here.

Big thank you to @k_atie for helping out too.

Nice team effort Square! 👌 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 15 of 20
Super Seller

Hi @Emma_ just a quick question on the checkout link. With the mobile number country code it defaults to the US code, is this fixed or can this be changed to default to a different country code? Trying to limit the data input effort for the customers where posdible. Not a problem if it can't be done, just thought I would ask the question.

Many thanks

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 16 of 20

Hey again @phillipsrw . I just had a look into this, and it's not currently possible to change the default mobile phone number country code to the UK code at this time.

I'll pass this over to our products team as feedback. I can see why this would make the checkout experience that bit more efficient!

Message 17 of 20
Super Seller

@k_atie thanks for looking in to, much appreciated.

Also I noticed that on the emailed invoice confirming the subscription there is a tiny link on the bottom to manage the subscription but its overwhelmed in size by the ad to get started with invoices and estimates for business button. Is there an option in the dashboard to remove this  button and ad from the email so the emphasis is put on the manage subscription link. I'm trying to limit the background noise, focusing in on what's important to customers.

Screenshot_20221210-144338_Email.jpg

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 18 of 20

Mmh, that's a great question, @phillipsrw. I will definitely look into this for you! Would you mind sending me a screenshot of the entire invoice? Just so I can specify more clearly what you are looking to do when customizing your invoices when escalating to my teams internally. Thanks!

Message 19 of 20
Super Seller

Hi there, I have just sent over a message eith the screenshot 😀 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 20 of 20