x

Surcharge questions: notifications, and selling goods vs. services

Hi all, 

So recently we decided to look into charging a surcharge to clients to recoup some of the expenses of using square. I have noticed a lot of other people asking about passing the surcharge on to their customers but I had a few questions I hope someone can answer for me that I did not see asked in other places on this forum. 

1) Is there a difference between using square for selling goods vs using it for selling a service? We assumed the surcharge issues would only come into play when sales tax is a consideration. Currently we use it to take payments in a small psychological practice without sales tax. Would this change the ability to pass on the surcharge here in Illinois?

2) Why do we have to notify all of the different credit bureaus instead of just notifying square? Was our business information passed on to them already when we signed up to begin utilizing square?

Thanks for your time.

[The title of this post was updated by a moderator from "Surcharges question" to "Surcharge questions: notifications, and selling goods vs. services" on 10/7/20.]

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @Coun_Associates, welcome and thanks for bringing this up.

Regarding your first question, you may need to touch base with either a tax professional or your local government for further guidance on permitted surcharges. As for your second question, while we are required to verify your identity for the purpose of processing credit cards — we are not able to notify Visa or MasterCard on your behalf if you intend to begin surcharging credit card payments at this time.

For more information, Sean's post covers the current process required for sellers who need to apply a surcharge.

I realize that these requirements are a bit cumbersome.😐 Rest assured that I'll be sharing your post with our Product Liaison team, who is tracks customer feedback and makes improvements. Thank you for your patience — we'll circle back with any updates as we receive them.🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

it would be super convinient to set up a surcharge percentage as an item but right now square doesn't allow items to be a percentage. only discounts. 

so we have the surcharge set up as optional tax and have a variable set up as Dine In (Cash)/ Dine out (CC).

But once I save phone orders as Cash(Dine in) which is the default mode,

when they come to pick up the food and decide to use their card, I have to manually go into individual item and turn on the surcharge Tax since when you pull up the saved order this Dine In/out option doesnt change.

Does that make sense?

Message 22 of 30

How can I program Square POS to add surcharges for credit card transactions?

Message 23 of 30
Admin

Hey @Bogeysonmain — thanks for reaching out!

I went to check on your question and, while this feature still isn't able to be automated within the Point of Sale app, check out the Best Answer in this thread for more insight. Hope this helps clarify a bit more, though if you have any other feedback on how automating this would be helpful for your business, please let me know. I'll be happy to share more details with the appropriate team members.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 24 of 30

To the penny, what are the charges so that I can have my customer pay them all with his balance.  We allow customers to pay by credit card but we explain to them that they have to pall all charges.

Message 25 of 30

Hi! Is there any way to have "Taxes" show up as what it was named? I'm using Square Appointments. I added a 3% "tax" and called it "credit card processing fee" but on the booking page it shows up as "tax" when I really want it to say "credit card processing fee" Thanks!

Message 26 of 30
Alumni

Hi @Egg. There isn't a built in surcharge feature for Point of Sale. So, if you choose to use tax settings to add a processing fee, it will be reported as a sales tax. Unfortunately there is no way around this. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 27 of 30

Where exactly is it "reported" ? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Is this just in the dashboard or does that info get sent somewhere else? TY!!!!!!!

Message 28 of 30
Alumni

@Egg In your Sales Tax Reports.

Taxes collected from card sales are included on a 1099k from and reported to the IRS. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 29 of 30

GOTCHA. Appreciate your response

Message 30 of 30