x

What are the power requirements for the Square Stand?

I bought a Square Stand and contactless chip reader to use at craft shows and other events that don't always have access to electricity. I understand that the stand can draw power from my iPad, but I don't know if that will last for an 8 hour show. Has anyone used the stand without it being plugged in? How long did it last?

Is anyone using an external power source? I used to have a portable unit to jump start my car, and it had an outlet to plug things in. I'm thinking about picking up one of those, but wanted to see what's working for other people.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for the help with this one. 

@MaseyLeigh - The entire stand system can draw up to 24W from a power supply, so you'd want to make sure that your portable charger could accommodate that. As for if the Square Stand needs power to operate, it will require some power to maintain the connection with the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader when you have it plugged in through the dock. It will also keep the reader charged. It might be hard to test this out outside of the actual event, but if you do get in a pickle, you could always pair your reader to a smartphone to stay in business that day. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller

This is just from memory but as far as I know the stand is plugged in to simply supply power to the iPad to charge, not for the stand to function.  I don't see an iPad surviving a full day being used frequently on a single charge, if it's not that often it might be fine.

That kind of a jump battery pack could be used to top off the iPad but I don't know how long it would power the iPad.

Message 2 of 16
Square

Best Answer

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for the help with this one. 

@MaseyLeigh - The entire stand system can draw up to 24W from a power supply, so you'd want to make sure that your portable charger could accommodate that. As for if the Square Stand needs power to operate, it will require some power to maintain the connection with the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader when you have it plugged in through the dock. It will also keep the reader charged. It might be hard to test this out outside of the actual event, but if you do get in a pickle, you could always pair your reader to a smartphone to stay in business that day. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 16
Super Seller

There is no need to use the square stand while you are out at a fair if you don't have power.  Any $10-$20 iPad stand will hold your iPad just fine and then you can plug in the Square for headphone jack swiping into the iPad swiping and use the contactless reader with that also.  Depending on how much you use the iPad and how long you set the screen timeout to you may be able to get thru the day on a single charge.  And if you are only charging the iPad that is easy to buy an external battery for like $20 that will charge it a couple times.

Message 4 of 16

I have a "Jump Start" power supply from Schumaker. It will not provide power for a full day show. I use the stand and the chip reader "Dock" and see as much as 19 watts power being pulled. Portable Power supplies are out there to do this job but, very pricy. Best to start with IPad and chip reader charged to 100% and plug into the power supply when it gets below 15-20%. You could let your Ipad "sleep" after 5/10 minutes but remember Square will have to reconnect each time.

Message 5 of 16
Square

@seadog - Thanks for sharing your experience! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 16

Hi.. I'm looking at purchasing a square stand and was wondering what voltage the power adaptors are.. are they based on 110-240v or only 110-120v for the US? Cheers

Message 7 of 16
Alumni

Hey @MADDOGS - I went ahead and moved your post to this thread where other sellers have also asked about the power requirements for the Square Stand. 

The voltage required to run the Square Stand through an outlet is 100-240V.

Message 8 of 16

The Squre stand has a 3 port USB hub adapter. One for the chip/ contactless reader dock, one for a printer if used but, it will charge a phone, should you be using a "Personal HotSpot. The supply chord has a standard 110V 3 prong chord. I will unpack mine soon and see if it will take power from 110 or 220V as the small wall chargers will. Phones and IPads have been charged in Europe with no problems.

Message 9 of 16

110V @ 50 watts is more than enough power.

Message 10 of 16

Yes, the power source for the square stand is 110-240V 0.6A, 50-60 Hz with an output of 2A.

So, with the standard 3 prong plug, you will need an adapter to use either 220V stateside or 240V overseas.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers!

Message 11 of 16

Power supply chord operates on  both 110v or 220v.

Message 12 of 16

So Ive wondered the same question and finally came up with a solution. You can run your entire cash register, stand, printer and ipad all with a portable power station. I bought from Lowes, the Schumacher Electric 1,200 amp Car Battery Jump Starter for about $129. It has 2 110 outlets on it and will run my system for 6-8 hours continuous use. Just wanted to share. 

Message 13 of 16
Alumni

Awesome solution @mommatia1788! Thanks for sharing!

Message 14 of 16

I have used the exact jump start in the past. I only do 3 trade shows a year and apparently the internal battery developers a memory and won’t maintain enough power. The stand pulls about 19 watts but, you must start with a fully charged IPad, chip reader. Minimal electric service (50 Watts) is all that’s needed. I just pay the electric fee at the show and not have to haul the jump start back & forth.

Message 15 of 16

This is exactly the information we were looking to find!  Thanks!

Message 16 of 16