x

What if the customer decides to get a different product after the sale has been charged?

Once in a while, a customer will buy something like 2 Shortbreads, a Finnish Cardamom bread, a Chocolate-Chip Muffin and a Pumpkin-Spice Muffin but, after having paid, wind up saying, "Oh, I'm getting something to give to my vegan friend. Can I have one of the Vegan Banana Muffins instead of the Pumpkin-Spice Muffin?"

Of course, I go ahead and swap it out.

Issuing a refund and another purchase would be an unnecessary mess - especially if the purchase was made with a credit card, but the swapping of one item (same price) for another in this way results in incorrect unit counts for the day's reporting.  Even a refund of the one muffin and a new transaction for the sale of the other shows up in the report of gross sales as one too many of the first one sold.

Is there any way to register this kind of "swap" - within a reasonably short amount of time after the sale - without having to go through a refund and another sale?

Also, is there a way to correct the problem with the incorrect sales count when a refund is done?  (e.g. In the above example, if I only made eight of the Pumpkin-Spice Muffins, and I go on to sell all of them, including the one that was swapped out for a Vegan Banana Muffin, the sales report will show NINE sold, even though only eight were available.)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

You should be able to manually adjust your inventory in a situation like this, @CottageOven.

To adjust stock, tap the stock amount > select a reason > enter amount to be adjusted.

Learn more here, and please let me know if I've misunderstood!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

With the nature of my business, I don't use the inventory management.

The quantity problem is not one of inventory counts, but SALES counts.  If I process a refund for the original item then register the sale for the new item, the sales report still counts the original item as a sale.  Thus, the sales report at the end of the day will show that one more of the original item was sold than there actually were, since the refund process doesn't decrease the sales count.

Message 3 of 3