x

Why can’t I send an invoice when selling a gift card?

With the salon being closed due to COVID-19, I suggested my clients buy gift cards to help support me. My plan was to invoice them for payment, then mail them the gift cards, but it’s not letting me select invoice as payment when I try to load a gift card. If I were to “create an invoice,” I can just enter the desired amount, but then I can’t load the actual gift card. I hope this makes sense. Help!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

Hey @lmlafayette

Invoices and loading giftcards do not speak to each other in that way. You have a couple options:

1. Send the invoice > your customer pays with their payment card on their end > Once paid, open the POS app and load the physical gift card by comping it or applying a 100% discount so payment won't be collected at checkout and doesn't mess up reporting. 

2. Do without invoices and set up a eGift Card purchase site. Copy/paste your site URL by way of social media, text, or email. 

I hope this helps!

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

Justin, why can’t it be configured via Square to invoice a customer for a gift card and upload a gift card? I have the same issue (want to invoice for a gift card sale) and have to take other multiple steps just to sell a gift card. It’s really a pain just to sell a gift card. I invoice my customers for all of my other Store merchandise, yet I cannot invoice for a Gift Card that I purchased via Square and use via Square processing? Makes no sense to me why Square can’t figure out how to mesh these two items together to simplify the process for your Square retailers? I would sure be selling many more Gift Cards if Invoicing was an option with Gift Cards, and Square would be making more $ as well on the credit card processing fee. Sounds like a win win to me. Can this be RE-visited with the tech team to figure out a solution that would streamline this process for Invoicing Gift Cards? 

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

@Claudinet

Our Product Team is aware that sellers are asking for this feature. Sorry to say, but It just hasn't not implemented yet.I don't have insight into how they prioritize feature requests but we'll make sure to circle back to this thread when that feature is available. 

Justin
Message 4 of 11

I am desperate for this option right now. 

Everyone is saying support small businesses in this uncertain time by purchasing gift cards.  Customers are emailing for this. they want to purchase future classes. 

But I have to be on the line with them, run the card, take down the address over the phone, hope I get it right and send them the physical card.  

If I could invoice them I could get the mailing address in the invoice and take care of everything tin the customers timeline and not waiting by the phone for them to call. 

I just don't understand the disconnect.  

Message 5 of 11
Beta Member

I have been waiting for this gift card invoice option, so vital right now. We Square retailers have to do so many other steps just to sell a “physical” Square Gift Card that most of my customers prefer over “digital gift cards”. I really hope The Square Team can implement this sooner than later. 

Message 6 of 11

The whole point was to present a professional gift card instead of ecard (some people don't show up with the e card info) and it makes it hard to identify where it is.

Anywho.....that's another issue, I thought getting the plastic gift card would be great and I can invoice the person purchasing and complete the transaction without them having to come inside and physically hand me there credit card.

Please advise when this glitch will be fixed. Again, it was the main reason I spent money on these GIFT CARDS. E-cards are a given........not to be rude, just trying to understand and simplify my sales 🙂

Message 7 of 11
Super Seller Alumni

So are you saying you want to be able to invoice someone to sell them a physical gift card?

Message 8 of 11

Exactly, so they can drive by at there convenience and pick up contactless 🙏

Message 9 of 11
Square Community Moderator

@krusette thanks for taking the time to explain it all. We are always looking for ways to improve our products and selling physical gift cards online, or via invoices, has been a request before. I've merged your post to an existing thread so we can keep all the feedback in one place. 

AshleyK
Message 10 of 11

Yes, please

Message 11 of 11