x

ecard

Can I preload a gift card without paying for a grand opening giveaway? Or do I have to pay upfront and get reimbursed when used? (and if so, what if the card is never used?)

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hello! Would you mind sharing what you mean by grand opening giveaway? I want to make sure I fully understand your questions! Thanks a ton!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 6

We are having a grand opening and are giving away gift bags with samples and I'd like to load some ecards with $10 as a gift to put into bags. When I try to load the $10 it wants to charge me $10 per card. I really don't want to pay the $10 per card and then get reimbursed when the card is used because what if someone doesn't use the card, then I'm out the money. 

Message 3 of 6

We did this. Ring it through as "cash", open your till, make a note on the receipt that it's an internal expense and do your accounting to manage that liability.

Message 4 of 6

Have you considered giving them a coupon instead?

We got this idea from another business. In out state, if we give anyone a gift card - then it's "Good" forever and ever. No expiration. No fees. So, I'm tracking it always.

Now, when we give away items for donations, prizes etc - I print coupons with set dollar values or for specific items; and include expiration dates.

So, we only SELL gift cards, and I GIVE out coupons.

Just something to consider...

Message 5 of 6

We have given out 50 5 dollar gift cards to businesses in our area. We've had 30 people use them already, and 28 of those 30 re load the cards, with four people loding over $100 on them. I think if we used a one time paper option that would not work as well.

Message 6 of 6