x

Card Processing Surcharge

Is there anywhere in Square where we can pass the card processing fee onto the customer at the time they present their card to pay? I know of other types of merchant facilities like Tyro can do this. Is it possible in square? If so can you tell me where to find the option.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

hi @mw2431 ,

This is still not generally available.

it looks like this was/is in beta i for AU. See here:

Get Started with Card Surcharges Beta | Square Support Centre - AU (squareup.com)

It may be worth requesting to join the beta community so that you can get an update.

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce Wilson
Owner | Vigneron | Distiller
Message 2 of 3

I think it's tricky, because it's pretty complex in the background to get it right based on type of card, transaction amounts, etc... A blanket amount might get a merchant in trouble if they're overcharging for the surcharge amount (and undercharging loses you money, of course). Not sure if all providers do it, but compliance on surcharging is worth looking into. Beyond Payments, Smartpay.... There are a few that look to facilitate a surcharge, but I don't think all care about keeping you on the right side of being legal. Tyro seem to leave that landmine up to you . 
Sorry, that probably doesn't answer the doing it in Square option, but as the other answer here - seems like a waiting game.

Message 3 of 3