x

Feature Request - Have customers make preset payments by just tapping (Like buskers)

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT: Preset payment amounts are now available via QR codes.

Hey @Tonez,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment this functionality is not available with Square's POS app - because it acts as both a point of sale and card processing terminal, it will require an operator to input information and values into the app.

It's possible we'll look into different apps and automated payments in the future - I'd be happy to pass your feedback on to our product development team as a feature request!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Admin

Best Answer

EDIT: Preset payment amounts are now available via QR codes.

Hey @Tonez,

Thanks for getting in touch.

At the moment this functionality is not available with Square's POS app - because it acts as both a point of sale and card processing terminal, it will require an operator to input information and values into the app.

It's possible we'll look into different apps and automated payments in the future - I'd be happy to pass your feedback on to our product development team as a feature request!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 26
Beta Member

When I search 'tap and go payments' into google, Square come up first on the list.

Yet does not support this feature.

Does that mean Google is insanely stupid or is there some scams going down?

cheers, Mark.

Message 3 of 26
Admin

Hey @King_Casey,

Square absolutely supports tap and go payments! However as a merchant processing terminal it requires operation by a staff member - we don't have the ability to take automatic pre-set payments via tap and go, so someone will need to enter an amount / items into the POS app before a customer can pay.

If you're looking for customers to make automated payments at pre set amounts you may want to look into self service QR code payments though!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 4 of 26

Hi Seamus,

I have a child who busks and has noticed a lack of cash.

Since this post was answered by you, over 2 years have passed.

Has there been any progress to being able to accept a set amount tap and go ?

Such as A$2 ?

There would be a reasonable market if you made it available. 

Message 5 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hi, @KincumberIndoor thanks for reaching out and adding your voice to this conversation!

Have you had a chance to read our suggestion in the Best Answer on this thread? You can set preset amounts by creating a QR code that can be printed and displayed at your child's busking location.

Anyone who wants to make a donation by selecting a preset amount can scan the QR code on their device to submit their payment online.

If you have any questions about setting up QR codes on your Square Account, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 6 of 26

The question then becomes, does the busker need to interact with the payer each time ?

This makes things a bit awkward if they are in the middle of a performance.

What are the fees on what is likely to be small volume/small amount transactions ?

Message 7 of 26

This has been setup by other companies but for charity only. Square has the opportunity to the at the forefront of this industry. No-one is carrying cash, please tell me you can add software to add a preset amount as a musician can not stop mid-set to put through a payment. Whatโ€™s happening square? Not to mention what it would do for your brands image.

Message 8 of 26
Admin

Hey @sammylevz,

Thanks for your message and welcome to the community ๐Ÿ™‚

I moved your post across to this thread with a similar inquiry - have you checked out some of our QR Code payment features? This is how most buskers who use Square are currently taking payments!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 9 of 26

Thanks @Seamus

Although the QR code system is ok, it still does not have the effectiveness of the Quest style tap-and-go. When people walk past a busker they make a split second decision on whether to donate. A pre-paid tap-and-go amount has been proven to be far more effective for gathering donations. The QR code still requires a couple of steps and people are busy and lazy. I really hope Square develops some hardware with a 'Google Home style' screen (which will obviously profit their business) in sales and software to match. They will then be the only company south of the equator to have this system. In the USA they have this system and it has skyrocketed. I love Square products and I hope they listen to their consumers...

Message 10 of 26
Admin

Thanks for the additional insight @sammylevz - I agree that this sort of system would be really helpful for buskers and certainly cut down the steps required to make a payment on the fly when compared with a QR code.

I'm not aware if this type of functionality is on our product roadmap at all, but I'll keep tracking the comments here and passing on feedback!

So I can get a better idea of the system you're referring to that's available in the US, are you able to post a link? I've seen Quest's Donation Point for Australian NFPs, but am not familiar with other products that do similar things.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 11 of 26
Beta Member

Since my post above, I've rolled up my sleeves and set this up as close to 'user friendly' as possible.

Not strictly 'tap n go' but only 2 touches and a wave of the card over the reader.

Only issue now is to get people to use it.

Most folk still prefer to use cash.

KC busker.jpg

Message 12 of 26
Admin

Thanks for sharing @King_Casey!

Keen to hear more about how this goes and if you run into any issues with people using the app - have you set up something like Team Permissions restrictions to prevent people from accessing the settings etc?

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 13 of 26
Beta Member

It's mounted to a stand within arms reach so anybody attempting to delve into the workings would require skin like a rhino.

Still having reliability issues. Often refuses to pair with the reader.

I'm hoping it will attract more usage when it's presence is noted en-mass.

Some type of user manual would be handy

Also this website crashes quite frequently too.

You should compile a 'to do' list.

Cheers, Mark.

Message 14 of 26

I totally agree with you. Its also complex for larger Tips. 

Message 15 of 26

It would be more beneficial to musicians if there were set amounts which could be at point of performance. To have a client input a Qcode adds a further customer complication  You must try to get Square to behave as much as possible like cash. Perhaps a solution have codes clearly displayed money values at the point of performance eg $1, $2, $5, $10, $20. & incorporated and visible into each code. Lesser values cd be scanned multiple times. Eg 2+2+2  $6. 
Thank You 

Message 16 of 26

Terrific question. Shouldn't be hard to implement ?

Message 17 of 26

go for it

square.jpg

Message 18 of 26

What platform have you got this running on ? Also, do you have to stop to approve transaction mid performance ?

Message 19 of 26

• Apple iOS.
  • The process is set up in 'tips'.
  • It cycles back to the 'tip' screen after payment.
  • The customer can tap as many '$1' tips they like and review/delete/cancel before moving on to pay.
  • I looked briefly in to QR codes but issues of simplicity and privacy got in the way of a good time
  • The Square folks have (I'm sure) good reasons to use a QR code

square3dinstructionsphone.png

Message 20 of 26

Hi, 

I am wondering if there is a way for me to setup an automatic tap and pay price. I am using square for busking, and want it to be set at a given amount where people can come past and tap multiple times without me having to interfer or touch the device. 

Message 21 of 26