x

Google Calendar Sync no longer working + Personal Events have disappeared

My Square Calendar stopped syncing with my Google Calendar, after having followed the troubleshooting tips, I ended up removing the Calendar and re-added it.

Syncing appears to have started working - Personal Events are not appearing in my Google Calendar.

Also, I had a number of Appointments and Personal Events set up (prior to removing the Calendar sync) that no longer show in either my Square or Google Calendar - are they gone for good?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sara_Thompson,

Welcome to the Seller Community and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the gCal integration with Appointments!

Are you able to take a further look into what gCal has officially classified those calendar entries as? When you enter something in gCal you can select from Events, Appointments, Out of Office and Reminders:

Square Appointments will only show "Events" and "Out of Office" (which appears to be considered an Event). I tested this to get a better idea of how it works:

gCal Side

Square Side

My thoughts here may be that the calendar entry type may have been set as either an "Appointment" or "Reminder"?

Feel free to post any screenshots of the setup (make sure to obscure any private personal details) that might help identify the issue, and let me know if this helps 🙂

EDIT: Thinking about this from another perspective too - is it possible that you have two gmail accounts and were logged into one that was different from the original when you re-synced? 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Sara_Thompson,

Welcome to the Seller Community and sorry to hear you're having trouble with the gCal integration with Appointments!

Are you able to take a further look into what gCal has officially classified those calendar entries as? When you enter something in gCal you can select from Events, Appointments, Out of Office and Reminders:

Square Appointments will only show "Events" and "Out of Office" (which appears to be considered an Event). I tested this to get a better idea of how it works:

gCal Side

Square Side

My thoughts here may be that the calendar entry type may have been set as either an "Appointment" or "Reminder"?

Feel free to post any screenshots of the setup (make sure to obscure any private personal details) that might help identify the issue, and let me know if this helps 🙂

EDIT: Thinking about this from another perspective too - is it possible that you have two gmail accounts and were logged into one that was different from the original when you re-synced? 

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 2 of 11

Hey @Seamus 

Thanks for coming back to me.

Unfortunately, my appointments disappeared from both calendars (Square and Google) so I'm unable to determine how they were entered (and I cannot recall what was there when they were entered).

Going forward I'm using only the Square Appointments app to record appointments, both personal and business.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Message 3 of 11
Beta Member

Hi there,

I am having issues getting my staff calendars to sync with Google calendars. At the moment,  square appointments are showing up in both square and google no problems at all. But if you input unavailability into the Google calendar they don't show up in square. My account (Owner) works fine no issues at all, it is just the staff accounts that aren't working. I have checked through all of the access settings for staff and full access has been granted.

I have removed and re added staff calendars, refreshed, tried everything. I have been experiencing double bookings and double handling calendars.

Any help would be great!

Darren Roth
Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hey @PivotCityMusic,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear you're having trouble syncing Google Calendars to Appointments!

I've moved your message to this existing thread that may help - when you create a new calendar entry you'll want to create it as an "Event" in order for it to display in Appointments. 

Hopefully this helps! You may need to do some testing to work out if this was the issue but let me know how you go.

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 5 of 11
Beta Member

Hi @Seamus , 

thanks for the reply! Yes I have made sure when there is an entry into gCal that it is an "Event". I have compared the settings of my "Owner" account to the settings of both staff accounts and I can not find any differences in settings that would possibly make it not work. The gCal that is synced to the "owner" account works when I enter "events" in gCal and it shows in the square calendar. 

The staff accounts is a work around to allow me to book multiple "rooms" rather than staff. So each room needs its own calendar and the owner account is acting as the premises with access to calendars for each room, as well as a calendar for the whole premises. I have set it up so if I input data into the gCal for the premises (owner account) it will block out the time specified for both of the rooms (staff accounts). That is the part that is working for me. The part that isn't is getting the gCal data for the staff accounts to import into square. 

Hope that makes sense

Darren Roth
Message 6 of 11
Admin

Got you @PivotCityMusic,

I took a further look into this and it looks like you can only link a single Google Calendar to Appointments at once. 

Thinking of other possible solutions:

• Have you checked out using resources as a way of booking out multiple rooms?
  • I've never tried this so am not sure if it works in the intended way you need - but can you have your staff Google Calendars sync with your Google Calendar to then forward their events into your calendar? If that's a bridge too far, would it be worth setting up a seperate gCal for this purpose?

If neither of those options are viable I'd recommend getting in touch with our support team to see if they have any further suggestions - they'll be able to look at how your account has been set up, and may be able to offer further advice based on this.

Please let me know how you go and if you're able to get a workaround in place!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Message 7 of 11

Since IOS 16 the Google Calendar is not syncing with Appointments App! This is very problematic. This is the only reason I pay the monthly subscription fee to have this feature (Which I am not happy about to start with).

Any updates coming to resolve this?

I have tried resyncing, refreshing and relinking.

Message 8 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi, @rachelinadesign, thanks for reaching out to let us know and sorry to hear you're running into these issues with your Google Calendar sync.

We appreciate you taking the time to troubleshoot this issue on your end by attempting to refresh and relink your Google Calendar. These are the steps we would have recommended for you to try first.

With this having failed to resolve the sync issue, the next step would be to reach out to our Support Team so they can troubleshoot this further with you by taking a look at your current Square Account settings.

You can call support on 1800 760 137 (Mon - Fri, 9 am - 5 pm Melbourne time), or contact us via online chat or email. See the below steps.

1. Sign in to your Square account

2. Head to our contact page https://squ.re/3AWfZs2

3. Go to "Other", then "I don't see my issue"

4. Click "Message us", "Email us" or "Call Us"

Or, if you see the new chatbot help flow, type “support” to bring up a list of contact methods.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 9 of 11

Are there any plans to make the Google cal sync feature part of the free Subscription? Seems like what doesn’t cost the square anything should be a free service for loyal customers who have invested in the hardware. 

Message 10 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi, @rachelinadesign, thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I can certainly appreciate the frustration this change has brought about and I'd be happy to share this directly with our Appointments Team.

For context here, when the Appointments Team evaluated which features should go into each plan, Calendar Syncs was a feature they learned was most helpful for complex businesses with multiple staff members and calendars. For this reason, it was placed in the Plus tier so that businesses that may need to navigate multiple calendar platforms have a seamless solution. If you find a lot of value from this feature, we hope you continue using the Plus plan, as more high-value features will continue to be added over time.

In the meantime, let us know if you run into any issues getting in touch with the Support Team.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 11 of 11