x

Why do you need an ABN to sign up as a Sporting Club?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: How do you set up a sporting club without an ABN
We are a sporting club and want to use at a sporting event for drinks eats etc. I can’t get past the request for an AB

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Hol1 👋

Thanks for writing in to the Seller Community with this question and welcome! I noticed it's your first post here, and I'd be happy to shed some light here. 

Sporting clubs and other not-for profit associations need to sign up with an ABN in order to use Square for payment processing. If your club doesn't already have an ABN, and is looking to process card payments, it's a good idea to bring this up in your next annual meeting for consideration. The most common ABN types is either an Incorporated, or Unincorporated Association, and you can find out how to sign up with this ABN type here and here

Why can't you sign up without an ABN as a club? Per Australian tax legislation, Square is required to report payments processed to the ATO. When you sign up for a Square account with an ABN, this is automatically reported as income processed by the business, or, in your case the club. If you proceed signing up without an ABN, the income will be reported under the individual activating the account, rather than the club. This has implications for your tax return, and also goes against Square's Terms of Service

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but hope that this clears things up a bit. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Message 2 of 3

Thanks for your answer

Message 3 of 3