x
Beta Member

Allowing customers to modify their orders once they pay

We have some frustrated customers because they want to be able to modify their orders once they pay. We use the Square Online Store website.  We have had several customers write us and complain about this. I was hoping that Square could add a feature for customers to allow them to edit their orders once they buy. Is this possible, or would it be impossible because the credit card would have to be adjusted accordingly each time a transaction has been modified.

We have already lost a few customers because of the limitations. 

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @AFFINITYGALLERY

Thank you for reaching out in the Community. 

This feature isn't available for your customers, but I can tag this as a Feature Request for our Product Team. 

Could you elaborate on how your customers would utilize this feature? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

Here is an example to explain:

A customer places an order on our Square Online website for three items. They go to checkout and pay.  The next day, they are looking at our website and see another item they would like to add to their current order. They want to be able to go back to their order to modify it and add in the additional item.  Same would go for if they decided that they wanted to delete an item from their order. Modifications could be made possible while the order is in NEW or PENDING mode. 

Functionality would need to be built into their current order to allow them to modify it. Right now, all they can do is cancel their order. Maybe by allowing them to call up their order number, and then allowing the customer to make modifications while the order is NEW or PENDING? I wonder what impact this would have on their credit card as an adjustment would need to be made to their method of payment once the order is modified. The other impact is shipping costs would change as my shipping is set to weight and size. 

Customers get frustrated because they find shipping expensive and they don't want to pay for shipping twice by creating a new order for the additional items they want. They just want to be able to tag it onto their current order. 

I have suggested to customers to cancel their current order and then to place a new order with the additional products they want. Most don't want to do that because we have a high volume of sales. 

Message 3 of 5
Square Community Moderator

@AFFINITYGALLERY

Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to write that, so our Product Team can get an idea of how you would utilize your Feature Request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 5

Good topic - but we have a different use case. We are a restaurant that uses the online store for pick-up orders. 2 issues that have come up that we would like to be resolved: the ability to add tip after payment and the ability to add/adjust an item to the current order. 

Tip: There is a small blue button that states "Add tip" when you look at your shopping cart. If a customer forgets to select "Add tip" at that point, there is another opportunity when they click Checkout. If "Buy with Google Pay" is selected, they do NOT have the ability to add tip once this option is selected. We get many customers who made the purchase that forgot to add a tip and they are requesting to add a tip in person when picking up.  

Add/Adjust Item: We have some customers that want to add another item to their order or make an adjustment (change the protein). 3rd party vendors (Grubhub/Uber/Doordash) have this feature. Its an "Adjust" option in which you add or decrease the amount from the total amount and state the reason. For protection, they use a maximum adjustable price ($5 or $10) and a one-time adjustment (only 1 change allowed per order).

I believe the easiest place to add this "ADJUST" button would be on the actual customer order itself. Currently the buttons are "Mark In Progress" "Mark Picked Up" "Cancel Items" "Print".

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Message 5 of 5