x

Automatically email receipt to email on file

If I have a credit card and email stored for a customer and I charge the card on file, is there a way to email the receipt to the email on file? It prompts me to enter an email once I hit "email receipt" even though I have an email already stored for that client. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up, @mcquaidcpa.

To be sure we're on the same page, are you referring to the option to resend a receipt from the Transactions tab? Right now, there isn't an auto-populate feature with that field. So that I can share more details with our Point of Sale team, can you provide a bit more on the kind of payments your processing (e.g. invoices, in-person, or card not present) and why this is important for your workflow? I'd like to share some more insight with our Point of Sale team.

Thanks for your patience on this one.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6
Beta Member

I have the same issue. It's when using card on file for payments, you have to manually enter in a text or email address even though it is already stored in the card on file area. 

This is very frustrating as I have many card on file people versus new clients.

I run a private practice.

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Thanks for surfacing this, @DeborahR.

I went to check for any updates on this request and there isn't anything that I can access at this time. Sorry for any frustration this is causing right now—I'll be surfacing your experience with our Payments Team.

Some other sellers brought this up in another thread and RHatch had a few suggestions. Have a look here in case any of those are helpful: Sending card on file receipts from Virtual Terminal without manually entering email address.

We'll announce any developments as they come through. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

Thank you so much for the response! 

After reading the thread I do have a question. Does card on file accrue more processing fees than swipe/dip? 

If so, what is the reasoning behind it? 

Also, I don't do invoices because I need to limit transmission of PHI as much as possible. Happy to know Square is HIPPA BAA compliant!

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to have a look through that.

Great question. Yes, Card on File payments cost 3.5% + 15¢ of the total transaction amount versus a flat 2.75% for a swiped/dipped payment. The fee for in-person payments (e.g. swiped/dipped) is lower due to less risked associated with these payments, as the card must be present for the payment to take place.

Hope this helps clear things up a bit more. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 6