x
Beta Member

Instagram may be making hashtags irrelevant- how will this impact your business?

Wednesday 4/20, I noticed that the “Recents” tab was missing from my Instagram account on my phone. Only “Top” and “Reels” were available for viewing hashtag  search results. I googled and discovered that Instagram is testing a new “feature”, or rather, removing one, in an effort to drive more content creation to videos as it competes with TikTok.

This means that if you tag something relevant in a non-video post, users will not see your post even if they search for that hashtag- unless you happen to have enough reach to put your post quickly into the Top category. Most small retailers, let alone craftspeople, have no chance of exposure through hashtags now.

The effect for me was immediate. I had created a photo post showing a product I had created tied to a hugely important annual event in my community, the Merrie Monarch hula festival. It’s going on this week- yet for users without the Recents tab, the hashtag #merriemonarch only shows a couple of recent posts, and mostly posts from past years. Anyone looking for posts from all the activities of the last few days, and related photos, is just out of luck.

I typically get about 1/2 to 2/3 of my Instagram impressions from hashtags. A good post result helps me reach out to potential customers whose interests align with my products. But if Instagram decides to roll out this (dis)feature to all users, I just won’t bother. As a crafter and businessperson working 50+ hours a week, I am not interested in spending time making videos just to try to compete with “influencers”.

Has anyone else noticed this change, and how do you plan to cope with it?

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Instagram--like Google and Pinterest and Tiktok and even Twitter is focusing more on SEO and Keyword optimization.  Most platforms are also focusing on short-form video-based content. 

That means a simple 8-second reel/video will get in front of more eyes than a picture.  No matter how many hashtags are used.  

Also, make sure you're going into the ALT text and accurately describing the picture using your keywords in addition to using keywords in your caption.  This helps the AI pair your content with viewers who are looking for that type of content so you get more exposure.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

Thanks for this info.  I didn't know this feature was disappearing.  My goal this year was to start doing more videos anyway, so I guess now I'll have to go ahead and start.  It's definitely more work to make quality videos but it's definitely the path most social media platforms are going to.  

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 2 of 14
Beta Member

Itʻs not definitely happening- Instagram is apparently just testing it. If thereʻs enough complaints from users, hopefully theyʻll keep the Recents tab. Iʻm not sure edited videos are necessarily going to get seen any more than still photos. They have to be posted as "Reels", which I guess is different from a regular video post. I need to do some more research on the difference, I guess!

Message 3 of 14
Super Seller

Best Answer

Instagram--like Google and Pinterest and Tiktok and even Twitter is focusing more on SEO and Keyword optimization.  Most platforms are also focusing on short-form video-based content. 

That means a simple 8-second reel/video will get in front of more eyes than a picture.  No matter how many hashtags are used.  

Also, make sure you're going into the ALT text and accurately describing the picture using your keywords in addition to using keywords in your caption.  This helps the AI pair your content with viewers who are looking for that type of content so you get more exposure.  

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 4 of 14
Beta Member

Thank you, I didnʻt know we could add ALT text! I will try that.

Message 5 of 14

Hey! How do you add ALT text?

Thank you!

Message 6 of 14
Super Seller

@Cariboo_Acres 

When you are crafting a post look to the very bottom for ADVANCED SETTINGS>  scroll to the bottom of that page and look for ACCESSIBILITY >. write ALT text. 

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 7 of 14

Thank you!

Message 8 of 14
Beta Member

I found the place to add alt text for photos. But it doesn’t seem to be available for Reels, at least not under Advanced Settings. 🤔

Message 9 of 14
Super Seller Alumni

Honestly, I LOATHE social media. so much. in all forms. I hate creating content and posting. so much. I'm planning on not playing this game with them. I'll post what I want, when I want and the rest can go to H E double hockey stick. Is that the best business move? Certainly not. But it is for my shiny mental health 😄

Emily ( she / her )
The Violet Fox Bookshop
https://thevioletfoxbookshop.square.site
Message 10 of 14
Super Seller

This really illuminated the reason why my reach is SO LOW. What is our alternative?

I am using local hashtags and geotags currently, but am exploring other options now.

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 11 of 14

ive been noticing this. I place a wide variety of hashtags and in my analytics my views and engagements only come from videos.

Message 12 of 14
Super Seller

Instagram is definitely pushing videos so we try and put together a pretty reel 2-3x a week with our new products in an aesthetic, non sales way, 

Dina
Co-Owner Amityville Apothecary
www.shopamityvilleapothecary.com
Instagram | TikTok @AmityvilleApothecary

Podcast: Apothecary After Dark (YouTube & Spotify)
Message 13 of 14
Super Seller

I noticed this as well! Reels can be a great avenue however I find them very time consuming and they only live for a couple days

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 14 of 14