x
Admin

Ask a Super Seller Anything: Candid Experiences on TikTok & Social Media

Hello Seller Community!

Looking to learn from business owners like yourself? I'm thrilled to introduce a new pilot event series: Super Seller "Ask Me Anythings (AMAs)." 

Super Seller AMAs are “Ask Me Anything” style forum discussions where you can ask real-life business owners and experts about their strategy and lived experiences. Each event will feature a different Square Super Seller and have an accompanying theme where they're knowledgeable. On Tuesday, February 7, we focused on TikTok and social media with Sugar Lab Bake Shop.📱

Black+Background+Logo.png

Meet Ali, the biologist-turned-owner of Sugar Lab Bake Shop (@sugarlab in the Seller Community). Ali and her mother have been in business since April 2012. They've found success promoting and managing their business marketing on TikTok over the last few years — with multiple viral posts reaching millions of viewers! Learn more about how they started their business here. 🧪🍰

Ali shared her experience and shared her tips for getting started, maintaining relationships, and social media strategy.

Signature+Cake+Cover.jpg

Please note that Sugar Lab Bake Shop is not an employee or consultant of Square. The information they provide solely reflects their views and is not endorsed by Square. This Q&A is limited in scope and is only intended as a high-level overview of the topics discussed.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 120
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer
I hope this was informative and inspired you to join TikTok if you haven't already. I think the biggest take away from this is that you should have fun! TikTok and its users really like connecting with your authentic self. It'll also be much easier to be you than to be someone else. Use it a bit just as a user and then make your first post! Rip off that bandaid! I'd love to see what you post so feel free to tag me (@ali.sugarlab) so I can give you some love too. 

And of course, if this all feels way to overwhelming, don't do it. Either find someone on your team that can run an account for you or just don't worry about it. Don't let this be another thing on your to-do list that just stays there and never gets checked off. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to help! 

With love and sprinkles, 
Ali 
Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012

View Best Answer >

Message 120 of 120
119 REPLIES 119
Beta Member

How long did it take to get a large following on tiktok?

Do you pay someone to do your tiktok posts?

What tips do you have to get started?  

Message 22 of 120
Super Seller

I love this @Tom!

Alicia | PEINT
@getpeinted
Message 23 of 120

How does having a business account compare to having an influencer account? Is it better to have one of each?  It seems like there aren't any music options for the business account I started with It was a great experience switching to an influencer account, and now I have access to all the top releases in music.   

Message 24 of 120
Super Seller

Yessss.....My question as well....

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 25 of 120
Super Seller

Hey @bela2 and @JUYBoutique20!

It is true that the business accounts don’t have access to the same music library. Here’s what I found from TikTok explaining it:

The Commercial Music Library, or CML, is a collection of 1,000,000+ songs and sounds that have been pre-cleared for commercial use. The library features songs from emerging and experienced artists, empowering businesses and brands to embrace creativity and authenticity alongside the TikTok community. Through our tools and resources, Commercial Music Library enables brands to create their own TikTok trends without the lengthy process of obtaining licenses on their own.

I would think if you’re having fun with trending sounds and not doing them to obviously sell a product, I think you’re be ok. But then again, I’m not a lawyer so I can’t say that with any certainty. I have a personal/creator account if that’s helpful.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 26 of 120

Love this

301drinks.com

Message 27 of 120
Beta Member

Has anyone become profitable using their square online website? 

Just finished setting my site. It took a year to build and I haven't gotten actual sales from it.

My website: https://www.indolentlynxgift.com/

Hon Tran
Message 28 of 120
Super Seller

Unfortunately for the majority of online retail businesses there is a lot of marketing required to firstly drive awareness of your business, so reaching your target audience and secondly to build confidence in your business ie you are reputable and reliable etc.

So now you have the technical aspect with the help of Square Online nailed, it's time now to market your company to get those customers landing on your site whether that is through social media, mailing lists and newsletters or more traditional marketing methods. 

Also SEO may be worth working on to get yourself better visibility with the search engines.

Good luck 👍 

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 29 of 120
Beta Member

thank you @phillipsrw for the reply. Yes I've been on the edge wondering before if Square or Shopify is a good ecom platform.. I decided why not test both? I see that square website is good especially for those who sell food or goods. 

marketing is definitely important when it comes to online retailing. I spent a year learning how to build up the gift shop with square so I'll be keeping it around. 

I'm still interested if anyone have a square website that are doing well. would love to featured them on my upcoming blogs!

Hon Tran
Message 30 of 120
Super Seller

Good luck 👍

Coco Chemistry Ltd
Artisan Chocolatier
www.cocochemistry.co.uk
Message 31 of 120
Super Seller

Last year I had a real boost with people going to my website but like @phillipsrw said it was because of marketing.  I put my website on everything...business cards, banners, flyers, social media, etc...

Jacqueline
Owner of Jackie's Uniquely U Boutique
Message 32 of 120
Beta Member

That's good. did your online website made any good sales? I see square is mostly good for brick & mortar store.

So I'm catering selling online but I'm still new. My brand specializes on selling press on nails and mainly trendy women products.

if you are ever interesting in stocking my products I do wholesale them! you can find it on my blogs or check it out my main shop.

thank you. I'm actually going to market as well once I get both of my websites finish

gift shop: https://www.indolentlynxgift.com/

main brand (still in the making): https://indolentlynx.com/

blog site (still in the making): https://indolentlynxblog.com/

Icoming soon (2).png

Hon Tran
Message 33 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @Indolentlynx,

I think @phillipsrw has the right start with this. Being on social media can help drive people to your site. In this climate, it’s almost a necessity to be on some social media platform.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 34 of 120

Hello. I’m a local photo studio. So I need local clients come in the store and I work with them face to face. How do you focus your reach to local clients. We don’t use TikTok because of how time consuming it looks but if we could benefit locally, could be one way to drive business. ( is that almost two questions:)

Message 35 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @HollywoodPhoto!

I actually follow a few photographers on TikTok. They show behind the scenes of prepping their space for clients, posing techniques, or time lapses of editing. While you may not initially reach a local audience, I certainly have seen followers travel a ways to have a photographer they found online photograph them. Could be worth looking into!

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 36 of 120

Thank you! Will check out some and perhaps get some ideas 🙂

Message 37 of 120

What have been the best content planning strategies for you this past year?

What apps/tools do you use to organize and plan what you’re going to post?

Message 38 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @Jamilla,

Wait, people plan things? HAHA! It’s always a work in progress. For TikTok, I haven’t found a specific calendar to go with. I mainly just try to post every day if I can. There are some people who will say you need to post at least 5 times a day. That’s probably true for content creators/influencers who want social media to be their full time job. But for businesses, it just isn’t practical.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 39 of 120

It’s hard to keep up with work and content creating. What are some strategies you use for time management? 

Also, are hashtags important for views on TikTok? If so, what are some hashtags you’d suggest? 

Message 40 of 120
Super Seller

Hey @mommaspantry,

I film everything! It takes a little bit to get used to setting up your phone to record something, but you get the hang of it pretty quickly. What’s great about TikTok is how people love to see how something is done, like in progress shots, behind the scenes, day in the life, packing orders, etc. Something so simple and mundane can be part of a cool video.

For hashtags, I have my own (sugarlabbakeshop) and then I tag my city, sometimes my county or state if it makes sense, but mainly focusing on who I want to see the video. So like cakedecorating for a tutorial video or cakelovers for a customer focused video.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 41 of 120

How would advice an Independent Home Remodeling Contractor to promote content ie before and after pictures or videos?

Message 42 of 120