x
Admin

Ask a Super Seller Anything: Candid Experiences on TikTok & Social Media

Hello Seller Community!

Looking to learn from business owners like yourself? I'm thrilled to introduce a new pilot event series: Super Seller "Ask Me Anythings (AMAs)." 

Super Seller AMAs are “Ask Me Anything” style forum discussions where you can ask real-life business owners and experts about their strategy and lived experiences. Each event will feature a different Square Super Seller and have an accompanying theme where they're knowledgeable. On Tuesday, February 7, we focused on TikTok and social media with Sugar Lab Bake Shop.📱

Black+Background+Logo.png

Meet Ali, the biologist-turned-owner of Sugar Lab Bake Shop (@sugarlab in the Seller Community). Ali and her mother have been in business since April 2012. They've found success promoting and managing their business marketing on TikTok over the last few years — with multiple viral posts reaching millions of viewers! Learn more about how they started their business here. 🧪🍰

Ali shared her experience and shared her tips for getting started, maintaining relationships, and social media strategy.

Signature+Cake+Cover.jpg

Please note that Sugar Lab Bake Shop is not an employee or consultant of Square. The information they provide solely reflects their views and is not endorsed by Square. This Q&A is limited in scope and is only intended as a high-level overview of the topics discussed.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 120
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer
I hope this was informative and inspired you to join TikTok if you haven't already. I think the biggest take away from this is that you should have fun! TikTok and its users really like connecting with your authentic self. It'll also be much easier to be you than to be someone else. Use it a bit just as a user and then make your first post! Rip off that bandaid! I'd love to see what you post so feel free to tag me (@ali.sugarlab) so I can give you some love too. 

And of course, if this all feels way to overwhelming, don't do it. Either find someone on your team that can run an account for you or just don't worry about it. Don't let this be another thing on your to-do list that just stays there and never gets checked off. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a message. I'd be happy to help! 

With love and sprinkles, 
Ali 
Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012

View Best Answer >

Message 120 of 120
119 REPLIES 119
Super Seller

Hi @ATG719,

Oh film everything! Film the befores and afters of course, but also get some time lapses of work. There’s one person I see on my FYP that does painting videos; it’s soooo satisfying! I always recommend looking at similar businesses and see what they post. What attracts your eye? Don’t specifically copy them but just get an idea of the type of content you want to do.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 43 of 120

My question for Sugarlab is this... How do you feel about the concerns in the news about TikTok being a Chinese owned entity and the possibility of data collection and the banning of its use by some states and the military? While I am onboard with SM marketing and the viability of reaching a broad market, I can't help but wonder how others feel about this topic. Thanks!

Message 44 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @kateframer,

Honestly, I don’t worry about it too much. Probably my millennial nature, but I have so much out on the internet that it doesn’t bother me. It probably should, but I have too many other things to stress over. HAHA!

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 45 of 120

- How often do you recommend posting on TikTok? 

- How did you turn your views on TikTok into sales? 

- What type of content do you recommend posting to turn your views into sales? 

Thanks!

Message 46 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @CakeBloomCville,

As often as you want. There will be some that tell you to post at least 5 times a day and that just seems stressful. I generally try to post at least once a day. Sometimes I’ll post three times a day because I have the time and the content. Sometimes I can go a week without posting. It’s just a piece of my marketing and branding strategy; sometimes I just need to focus on getting orders out. It’s a give and take for sure.

It took a little to start turning it into sales. I didn’t start out with that intention, at least not for bakery sales. I was wanting to start my online cake/cookie decorating teaching brand; which I did! But then I had enough people asking me if we shipped that I looked into it a little more. I have a few repeat customers since Thanksgiving!

I think you need to find a balance between videos. If you’re all about “sell sell sell” it most likely won’t do well. Show your product in a cool way; packaging videos, how you make it, a day in the life. Grow your following and show the human side of your business. People connect to businesses so much more these days; they want to know why you do what you do.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 47 of 120

How do I use TikTok to get momentum for my brand? Thanks!

Message 48 of 120
Super Seller

Hey @anchoredtherapy,

Just start (if you haven’t already). Have fun on the platform as a user. Try different video types to see what you like making and what your audience likes seeing. Then sprinkle in some “here’s how to buy the product” type things. Educational content seems to do really well. I have learned so much on TikTok!

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 49 of 120
Beta Member

Love this and thank you @sugarlab for taking your time to help us!

I recently created a tik tok for my bakery and am having trouble figuring out what to post. What are your most popular videos? Is it a certain type of content that gets more hits?

Also do a lot of locals find you and come in due to your tik tok success? I am having issues adding my address to my location so need to figure that out, which I’m assuming will get more clientele actually coming into the shop. 

Message 50 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @Lovelee,

My bread and butter videos are one where I’m decorating a cake or cookies and have a voice over explaining it. So it’s part educational for other decorators, but also informative for customers. The super viral ones were never planned; that top viewed video that has nearly 11 million views; it’s just me asking my staff how many chocolate chips they think were in a container. 100% did NOT expect that to take off like it did. Just start filming everything you do and then work on editing it.

In terms of the location, I usually just tag my city or our area (Ventura Harbor). I haven’t seen a specific location tag like Instagram has.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 51 of 120

Hi,

Curious how long do you think the optimal video should be? I've posted a few videos but they don't really seem to get too many views - should we just be posting a lot of short videos consistently?

Message 52 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @Cloud9crepes,

There are so many theories! I think for the most part, shorter videos do well. That’s how TikTok got it’s start. Most of my videos are usually 60-90 seconds. TikTok is the Wild West so I feel like what works for one creator doesn’t work for another. Try a few different video lengths to see what works best for your audience!

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 53 of 120

As someone who has very little experience with social media and even less with making videos, how difficult is TikTok to use in general? Would it be worth it to hire social media manager? 

Message 54 of 120

How. Do you come up with ideas to keep the content fresh and engaging?

Message 55 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @Amyjt1,

Thankfully I am always working on new cake and cookie designs as my customers order them. But also feel free to repost things, or use the same video clips with a different voice over or message. Don’t stress too much on always looking for the next trend. Stick with what works for you and then sprinkle in some fun videos.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 56 of 120

I have a brick & mortar shop to service the local community. Is it worth being on TikTok if you don't have an online store?

Message 57 of 120
Super Seller

Hey @llij96,

In the beginning of my TikTok journey, I wouldn’t have thought so. But I do get local customers coming in who say they saw me on TikTok. My reach is definitely more national than local. If it’s something you want to try - go for it. But also don’t feel pressured to do the next big thing just because it works for some businesses.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 58 of 120

Newbie here!!!  How am I able to see this? Will a link be sent?

"It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become." -Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Message 59 of 120
Square Community Moderator

Howdy there @Metal_Recycler,

Great question! The AMA is a forum-style discussion and not a filmed event. The way this will work is that all questions posted in this thread will be provided with an answer by Ali during the scheduled timeframe above.

If you do have specific questions you'd like to ask, make sure you comment in this thread ahead of time! 😊

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 60 of 120

Thank you!!!

"It's not about what it is, it's about what it can become." -Dr. Seuss, The Lorax
Message 61 of 120

What equipment do you use to shoot content? 

What tools do you use for editing your videos? 

Where would you start and how did you build tractions to your page? 

How do you stay consistent? Do you have a schedule? 

Message 62 of 120
Super Seller

Hi @BrownSuga,

I use my iPhone 13 Pro to film. For editing, I use the app InShot. That’s where I’ll speed up clips or cut out dead time. I’ll record any voice overs directly in TikTok after uploading. I find the voice recording feature much easier on TikTok than Instagram Reels.

I know this won’t be helpful, but just start somewhere. I think what works for one creator won’t work for another creator. Spend some time on the app as a user to see what kinds of videos you like. What makes you stop to watch the video instead of scrolling. Try to look up businesses in your niche to see what they post and their general content. Don’t copy directly without crediting someone, but play around with what you like.

Consistency is something I struggle with. Sometimes I post a couple times a day and sometimes I go a week. I just try to post once a day or at least every other day. I also go Live fairly often; this week I’ll be Live almost every day as I gear up for Valentine’s Day.

Ali Kenis

Sugar Lab Bakeshop

Follow me on Instagram

Celebrating Since 2012
Message 63 of 120