x
Square

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Square Payroll

On December 18th, we hosted a live Q&A about Square Payroll. If you’re looking for a fresh start in 2021, this is the best time of year to switch payroll providers. It simplifies the setup and tax filing process so you can kick off the new year on the right foot. 

In this Q&A we covered the basics of pricing, how the product works, and how to switch to Square Payroll for the new year. We also introduced you to the newest features we launched in 2020 that help you manage your cash flow, pay your team faster, schedule your team, and help your team access benefits at no cost to you.

So what are these new features? 

• Instant Payments and On-Demand Pay to give you flexibility and control around your payroll schedule. 
  • Your employees and contractors can now directly sign up for benefits for themselves - at no cost to you! Square employees can get access to benefits like 24/7 in-app healthcare through Galileo and health insurance, retirement savings, and tax withholdings through Catch.
  • Square Scheduling (coming soon!) makes everything you need to manage your team from scheduling, tracking and payroll easily accessible in 1 place. 
  • We partnered with Bambee to help you access a dedicated HR Manager to customize your internal HR policies and a suite of powerful HR software tools to help you store important documents.

Square Payroll General Manager, @caroline, answered questions and helped sellers get the most out of Square Payroll for their businesses.

ph200330_Joao_SQBE_TShirtLady_Payroll_SquareCard_OnlineStore_0021_VR_01_Small.jpg

A few example questions: 

• What are direct to employee benefits and how much do they cost? 
  • What does “full-service” payroll mean, and what is included in my subscription? 
  • How long does it take for my employees to receive their direct deposit? 
  • How do I use Instant Payments?
Message 1 of 75
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Thank you to everyone who participated in our Q&A today and I hope your questions were answered! You’ve raised great suggestions about how we can improve the product that we’ll be sharing with the team. 

To wrap up, here’s a summary of a few themes I saw in today’s questions:

Your time is important!

Managing and running payroll should be quick and easy so you can focus more of your time on growing your business. Square Payroll currently saves you time when it comes to tracking and importing your team's hours and tips. Anything we can do to continue building on these existing features and add new features like commission importing will continue to save you time, which is a huge win. 

Every business structure is different

From varying business structures to multiple tax jurisdictions, we strive to build a payroll product that works for your needs. We’ve made a lot of progress, but there’s more we can do to make it easier to support more complex business and tax structures. Thank you for sharing your ideas on how we can improve.

We’re here to help

We know payroll can be overwhelming. So whether you’re setting up payroll for the first time or switching from another payroll provider, our US-based team is here to help you. You can contact our CS team with our customer code M-F from 6am to 6pm PST.  

Again, thanks for your participation today. Remember that if you want to make the switch to Square Payroll, this is a great time of year to do it. You can review more information about Square Payroll here or get started with Square Payroll your Square online dashboard.

View Best Answer >

Message 75 of 75
74 REPLIES 74

I am currently running my payroll thru ADT. If I wanted to switch over, how does that process look and also, what are the benefits of switching over to Square’s payroll feature? 

Message 43 of 75
Square

Hi @ODPHADEZ, thank you for your interest in Square Payroll. It’s a great time to switch payroll providers. To switch to Square Payroll, you’ll need to provide your business and employee information to Square including your EIN, State Employer Identification Number, business and bank details and employee personal information. You can find a full checklist and video tutorial of how to get started here

Once you have your Square Payroll account ready, you would want to make sure your last pay date of the year is with your old provider, and your first pay date of the year is with Square Payroll. For example, if you have a pay period of December 16 to December 31, 2020, with a pay date of January 5, 2021, that cycle should be with Square Payroll since it will be reported on your 2021 W-2s (which Square Payroll will prepare). Your previous provider will prepare the 2020 W-2s.

Message 44 of 75

We currently schedule and time clock with HomeBase, and job roles don't transfer to Square payroll, and always have to be manually entered, will that be fixed if we use Square scheduling? Also, what about multi-role individuals (e.g., server and sometimes cook), those always seem to take manual adjustment but should be automated, any help coming there?

Message 45 of 75
Square

Hi @John2018, the good news is that Square does offer support for multiple jobs / wages. In the Team or Payroll Team section, you can add additional jobs with different wages to each of your employees. Once set, you’ll also have the ability to schedule your team by each of their job titles in Shift Scheduling. You can learn more about multiple wage support here.

Message 46 of 75

Thanks Caroline, we are a few months into using Square now for sign in and the time clock versus HomeBase, and the problem with the roles has been resolved. Thanks for the resources

Message 47 of 75
Square Community Moderator

Good to hear you got this one solved, @John2018! Don't hesitate to reach out if anything else comes up.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 48 of 75

Thank You so much for the scheduling feature. It is exactly what i needed. Can you please however implement a printable feature for published schedules. thank You

Message 49 of 75
Square

Glad to hear you’re enjoying it @Bhcbistro! We definitely hear you on the need to print your schedule, and are planning to add print support within the next couple of months. Keep an eye out in your Square Dashboard for future scheduling updates.

Message 50 of 75

For Square Balance, please allow automatic transfers with a set minimum balance.

It allows for funds to be available to run Square Payroll with Instant Deposits using Square Balance.

Message 51 of 75
Square

Hi @BobaChef. Thanks for your great feedback! We definitely understand how it can be helpful to set a minimum balance while still enabling automatic transfers. We’re constantly improving the product and will take this into consideration.

Message 52 of 75
Beta Member

Been using Square payroll since the beginning of this year, when employees clock in and out correctly it works well but when they forget it is very hard to correct, the system is very clunky and frustrating. Also had problems with their IRS filings, we got refunds and underpayments on every quarter so far this year, when you contact Square about it there is zero communication from them. I've used payroll providers for 30 years and never had an issue with the quarterly returns.

Message 53 of 75
Square

I’m so sorry you’re having trouble with employees clocking in/out correctly. If you choose to use our new Scheduling feature and your team clocks in/out from the Square Team app, team members will have the option to receive reminder notifications if they haven’t clocked in 5 minutes after the start time or clocked out 5 minutes after the end time. Here is more information about Scheduling and the Square Team app. 

As for your issues related to tax compliance, I see several email exchanges and that you most recently contacted us on 12/4. I’ve asked someone to reply to you directly and again, I apologize for your troubles - we automatically file and pay tax in a timely manner and have a dedicated team to support you when issues arise.

Message 54 of 75

We are required to pay a biweekly payroll, and as of last year you were unable to offer that support. Are you able to run biweekly payroll now. Ready to jump to Square payroll from ADP when that feature's up and running. Let me know!

Message 55 of 75
Square

Hello @SaucysBarBQ!

Square Payroll currently supports weekly, biweekly, semi-monthly, and monthly payroll cadences. A biweekly payroll cadence means you pay your employees every two weeks, which translates to 26 pay periods annually. Square Payroll has supported biweekly payroll since the product was launched, so it’s possible you’re referring to a semi-monthly cadence with specific pay dates (i.e. 1st and 15th, 15th and 30th). If that is the case, we can support semi-monthly payroll, but do not support setting specific pay dates each month specifically for direct deposit runs. During the year there are several months that will have these specific pay dates land on a weekend while direct deposit transfers can only fall on a weekday. That being said, if you are planning to pay your employees with manual or printed checks you will have the ability to give employees their paycheck on these specific days. 

Message 56 of 75
Beta Member

I use this platform for my moving company. How can a company figure out virtual tips per job for teammates, instead of either having to manually do the math or split it in a pool?

Trix Kirkpatrick
They/Them
Message 57 of 75
Square

Hi @AMoveToRemember, the closest option we have is attributing tips directly to the employee who made the sale or recorded the transaction - see the “Pay Tips Directly” option in this support article. We don’t yet have the ability to split tips by a specific job, but will take that into consideration as we expand our tip splitting functionality next year!

Message 58 of 75

What are the approximate fees/employee associated with procuring Square for Payroll?

Highest regards,

Dr. Kevin Plummer

Message 59 of 75
Square

Hi @Advhth,

Square’s Employee and Contractor payroll is $29 per month plus $5 per employee or contractor paid per month. This price includes all Square Payroll features and you’re only charged for the team members you pay within the given month. For example, if pay 5 team members, your monthly fee for Square Payroll would be $54/mo. 

Square’s Contractor Only Payroll has no base subscription fee and is just $5 per month per contractor paid. This also includes all Square Payroll features including filing & mailing form 1099-MISC at year end. For example, if you pay 5 contractors, your monthly fee for Square Payroll would be $25/mo.

You can learn more about our pricing and all that is included here!

Message 60 of 75

How do I participate in the LIVE Q&A on Friday December 21 regarding payroll?

Message 61 of 75
Admin

Hey @ccmn2021 — thanks for your interest! If you can't be here for the event tomorrow, December 18th, feel free to simply post your question(s) by replying here today.

I'll make sure our Payroll team sees them and you'll get an email notification once the answer is posted. You'll be able to access all of the content/resources in this thread well after the event wraps up. Hope this helps! 🙏

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 62 of 75
Super Seller

With apps like Catch can I as the employer add funds to my employee's account?  I would like to offer health insurance and 401k contributions to my employees ( i only have 2) but don't know where to start.

Doran

Esthetician
Haute Beauty Guide
Message 63 of 75