x
Admin

Live Q&A: Ask us anything about Team Management & Scheduling!

On January 28th, we hosted a Square Team Management & Scheduling Live Q&A!

@seiderman is the product manager on Square Team Management, focused specifically on scheduling, timecards, and the Square Team app. Having worked at Square for 6+ years, he’s experienced in working directly with sellers on how they can use Square to improve their team operations. While passionate about all things Square and Team Management, he still finds time to indulge in other hobbies including video games, working out, and playing with his 7yr old cocker spaniel / lab mix dog.

A few example questions:

• How can I use shift scheduling to improve my labor cost margins?
  • How can I share the schedule out with my team?
  • Is there a way to test out the paid scheduling features?

image (14).png

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 115
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hey all,

I want to say thank you for taking the time to ask questions, and give feedback on Shift Scheduling. This is obviously a brand new area of the product for us, so your input is critical as we look to take it to the next level. To close, just wanted to highlight a few things based on the questions asked during the Q&A:

1. It’s easy and free to get started with Square Shift Scheduling. To get started, we recommend making sure you’ve added your entire team, and get them using Square Team app. Once you’ve completed those steps, your team can start adding their recurring availability, and you can start building your schedule.  
  2. We hear you on the need to manage time off, print schedules, and drag and drop shifts between team members. These three features are in active development, and should rollout as an update within the next couple of months. If anyone is interested in participating in a beta, definitely let me know!
  3. When upgrading to Team Plus, you unlock several features that provide more flexibility for both you and your team. First, you can build schedules further than 10 days out (as far as you want). In addition, you can publish open shifts to allow team members to pick up extra shifts as they come up. Next, shift trading empowers your team to trade shifts with each other other members of the team if they’re unable to work due to a change in their availability, or just prefer the hours of another shift (with your approval of course!). Finally, time enforcement allows you to prevent early / unscheduled clock-ins from your team members. 

Finally, while this may be the end of our live Q&A, this should not be the end of the discussion! Please feel free to tag me directly in your future posts on any other questions or ideas you have. I also look forward to setting up another Q&A in the not so distant future. 

Thanks again everyone, and feel free to continue posting/replying to questions. Happy to help!

View Best Answer >

Message 93 of 115
114 REPLIES 114
Square

Hi @Scoops,

Thank you for following up! Yes, we have drag and drop functionality where you can move an unpublished shift to be assigned to a different team member on a specific day.

Message 106 of 115
Beta Member

For time-off requests - can we have employees be able to see who else also has time off on those days? And allowing employees to see others availability if they're able to request a shift change with them.

Also, in the schedule, already saying someone is unavailable that day by graying it out or saying "unavailable" without having to put in the shift and then get an error.

Message 107 of 115
Square

Hey @urbanlodge,

Thanks for the feedback. Quick question on your first request, is this so employees know when they can / cannot request time off? Or just understanding coverage? For your second request, this is something that's definitely on our radar. Don't have a specific timeline, but should be rolled out as an update to the existing product.

Message 108 of 115
Beta Member

It'd be for both of those purposes, to know when there's already time off from others and to know who would be available if a shift swap is needed.

Message 109 of 115
Square

Got it. Appreciate you clarifying. This is something we'll look into as a future update. 

Message 110 of 115
Beta Member

How do I block days off that we're closed or no requests off are accepted ie holidays?

Message 111 of 115
Square

Hey @Summerhouse, thanks for reaching out. Currently, we do not support blocking days off from scheduling / time off requests. Something we're definitely looking at as a future product update. 

Message 112 of 115

Has the Print Schedule feature been implemented ?

Message 113 of 115

I am trying to delete jobs in my team management area... we originally had all sorts of job titles for people, but have decided to simplify as either Front End or Kitchen... but now I have a bunch of old job names like "Shift Lead" & "Scooper" that populate on our job roles. How do I get rid of them?

Message 114 of 115
Square

Hi @SavorIceCream,

Thank you for reaching out. Currently, there isn't a way to delete jobs. We recommend you assign the new jobs you created to the applicable team members. We appreciate this feedback. Please reach out if you have any other questions.

Message 115 of 115