x
Admin

Photo Studio Q&A: Learn to create high-quality eCommerce images with the Square Photo Studio app 📸

Your products are ready for their closeup!

Landingpage_gif.gif

What: We recently updated the Square Photo Studio app with additional styling features including shadow editing, level editing such as exposure and contrast, and the ability to change your images layout through size, position, and rotation tools. The app enables you to sync a photograph with your Square items or create links for your social media channels that let your followers shop directly on Facebook and Instagram.

Who: @johnobc on the Square Photo Studio product team answered questions about the app, and addressed feedback from sellers on how it's going with the app so far.

When: This Q&A took place on Wednesday, April 27, at 1:00pm PDT / 4:00pm EDT

A few example questions:

• What are the tips and tricks to getting the perfect photo with Square Photo Studio?
  • If I could do "_______" with Photo Studio, that would make setting up my inventory so much easier.
  • How do I turn a photograph into a shoppable link?
  • What’s the best way to use the different style options in the app?

Note: We can't share specific details on our product roadmaps, though this information will be helpful as we continue to make improvements.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 1 of 91
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

I hope I was able to answer your questions and help with any photography tips —the experiences you've shared will also help us as we continue to iterate based on your feedback.

As we close out this event, we wanted to do a recap on three themes that came up frequently:

• Android support - it’s really helpful to see how many of you want an Android version of the app. Thank you again for posting here and letting us know the demand
  • Photography tips for different items - there were a few specific questions about how to best photograph different items. If there’s a theme here it’s that using natural, even light, a neutral background, and reducing shadows will lead to the best results. Shadows end up being the enemy of our background removal model - so the more you’re able to fill in gaps around the product the better the app will perform. There’ll be improvements coming here soon as well!
  • Text, logos, and watermarks - there were a few feature requests around adding text, logos, and watermarks to images. This is something we definitely want to do and the feedback here has been helpful to prioritize these features

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and we'll continue to improve the Photo Studio app based on your business needs.   

For the latest updates, keep watch for announcements of new features in Product Updates and, if you’re using the app, make sure to turn on push notifications. We’re working to develop and add features pretty quickly and we’d love any feedback as you try out new versions!

View Best Answer >

Message 85 of 91
90 REPLIES 90

Hello. I was wondering when this will be released for Android? Looks cool but I'm a Samsung user. Please help! 

Message 64 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. No ETA yet - I tried to give a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek 

Have a look here for more information.

Message 65 of 91

Can I add words or captions to a photo?  

Message 66 of 91
Square

Not yet but it's definitely a feature we want to add. Stay tuned and make sure to enable push notifications so you'll know when we add it 😀

Message 67 of 91

Best way to photograph glass and reduce glare?   Proper lighting?  

Message 68 of 91
Square

Yeah - photographing glass is all about the lighting and is definitely challenging. Where I’ve seen people go wrong is trying to do too much - it’s really tough to light with artificial lights if you’re not a professional photographer.

My tip here would be to try to photograph outside on an overcast day or in a room with a lot of natural light. Since you’re trying to reduce glare, you can also slightly underlight your object (so underexpose it) and then bump up the exposure when you’re editing the image in the app. The key is to avoid hot spots - so unnatural looking blobs of light - and reflections as much as possible. When you’re shooting glass, it’s also helpful to put a white piece of posterboard directly behind the product so it helps the glass look completely clear once the background is removed. Lastly, try to keep any glare off of logos or text so any of those components can stay legible.

Message 69 of 91

When will this be available for people who do not use Apple products? For those who use Android, or a PC based OS?

Message 70 of 91
Square

Thanks for the question and posting in this thread. No ETA yet - I tried to give a bit more detail in my reply to @Sugarandgeek on the Android question. We also don't have plans currently for a PC based OS but it's definitely a cool idea and something we'll look into

Have a look here for more information.

Message 71 of 91

Hi Tom! Do you see how this could be used in the world of real estate? Thank you!  Sheila

Message 72 of 91
Square

That’s a great question! The app is optimized for creating images of items but we have started to think about how the app can be applicable for services. How are you using Square for real estate? I’d love to learn more.

Message 73 of 91

I have just discovered the Photo Studio App. It's fantactic...very user friendly! One question... after saving my Photo Studio pics (after edit), will I be able to replace the old pic on my Square web page with the new improved pic?

Message 74 of 91
Square

So glad you like the app!

After you create a new photo, if you select ‘add to Square’ you can then sign into your Square account and add the photo to an item in your catalog. When you add the photo to an item that already has a photo, you’ll see an option to replace the old one. From there, your image will show up on your Square Online store almost immediately.

Message 75 of 91
Super Seller

I was using earlier today and had issues with bringing photos from my stored albums to the app on my 9th edition Ipad 10.2. Im sure all permissions are approved and have allowed access to my phots upon initial release in current version. Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Ryan Anton Schaffer RMT
www.reginamassagetherapist.com
Message 76 of 91
Square

That doesn't sound right! Any way you can screenshot what you’re seeing? The app hasn’t been optimized yet for iPads but it should still work - just in a smaller window.

Message 77 of 91
Beta Member

Can I use saved photos?

Message 78 of 91
Square

Yep! You can use any photo that’s saved in your camera roll

Message 79 of 91
Beta Member

Hello My name is Melissa J 

I am a portrait photographer and use square.  I am very excited to use this app/feature with my clients.  I am not a product photographer however my menu is in square for clients to purchase and order.  My question is how can I integrate this feature onto my website so that my clients are shopping from my website with square?  Or is this not a feature yet?  

Melissa J Albert
Message 80 of 91
Square

Hi Melissa! That is a feature we currently have - when you take or edit a photo with the app, you can then connect that photo to an item in your Square catalog or create a new item. From there, those items and their photos should sync over to your Square Online site.

Would love to see how you end up using this - so please share a link to your website once it’s all set up 🙂 

Message 81 of 91

I am disappointed that many of your products like this one are only available for Apple. A lot of us Android users, including me would love to be able to use this to enhance the pics on my website, but can't because it isn't offered for Android.

Message 82 of 91

how to join?

Message 83 of 91
Admin

Hey @FernGroveStudio, this Q&A is happening right now in writing within this thread. If you have any questions, please drop them in. The product team will reply as soon as possible. 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 84 of 91