x
Admin

Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Update: Due to volume and complexity of the questions, this event was moved to Thursday October 14th so our product team had more time to research and answer your questions. Thanks for your understanding!

Hello everyone! 👋

On October 3rd at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET October 14th at 10:30 AM PT/1:30PM ET, we hosted a Square Online website builder Q&A with @xuanhua@KSA100, and @BradS-PM  of the Square Online Product team! This was a great opportunity to ask questions specifically about the website editor used by Square Online.

AdamB_0-1632866087143.png

Adam
Seller Community, Platform
Message 1 of 207
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Q&A: Ask Us Anything About the Square Online Website Builder!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for taking the time to share your questions and feedback!

We ended up covering quite a lot more than just the website builder, but that’s okay! Everything you’ve shared with us will help us incorporate what you need into future updates to Square Online. If you didn’t get a reply, don’t worry - while there wasn’t time to respond individually to all comments, our product managers did read them and will consider that feedback for future updates.

As we wrap up this event, we wanted to recap a few different themes that came up frequently:

Digital item fulfillment: Though not currently available, this is something we are working on for 2022!

Category and item page customization: You’d like to have more options to add content to category and item pages. Giving you more options to make your item and category pages look how you’d like is important, and something we're working on. Stay tuned for updates in the near future.

Video on item pages: Videos on item pages would add another dynamic way to show off your products. While we don’t yet have this as an option, you might want to consider adding 360º images to provide some more dynamic views of your products.

If you haven’t yet set up an online store through Square Online - it’s super easy! Click on the Online link in your Square Dashboard, then click on Get Started. Square Online will walk you through setting up your online store in minutes.

Square Online will be adding a lot of new features in the coming months, both to the website editor and to many other areas of Square Online. Thank you so much for your participation!

Adam

View Best Answer >

Message 202 of 207
206 REPLIES 206
Beta Member

'd like to see:

• Ability to sort categories and sub categories the way I want (not most recent at the top, I want alphabetical)
  • Ability to offer BOGO deals online
  • Ability to sell paid instant download PDF files (ie: patterns)
  • Ability to change delivery rates based on location (ie: neighbourhoods further away get different rate than the address next door)
  • Ability to use more than one gift card per order to pay. So, if I have a gift card with $3 and one for $25 I can't use them both to pay for a $28 order.
  • Ability to order and pay upon arrival since everyone doesn't have a credit card or want to use one. I'd like that inventory to be unavailable for the next guy to buy until we cancel the order. Personally, we'd only hold those order for a set amount of time then cancel them and restock items so they can be sold to the next person.
  • An easier way to say where we deliver. Radius doesn't work because we're at the edge of the city and we don't deliver to rural addresses
  • More detailed information on benefits of upgrading to a paid plan. The first tier seems to just get rid of square branding but... anything else? The next upgrade focuses on shipping, but that doesn't really suit my business.

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Message 148 of 207

Hi,

I would love to be able to sort items in the "Site Items" list - eg Click on Names and the list sorts alphabetically.  I would love for the sku # to be visible in the Site Items list!!

Thank you.

Message 149 of 207
Beta Member

I'd like to learn more about the following:

The new Subscription Services

Being able to edit products with options and click down menus. 

Thank you. 

-Bubbly Moon Naturals

Message 150 of 207
Admin

Thanks for your post, @Marsh. Can you elaborate a little more on what you mean by editing products with options and click-down menus?

Adam
Message 151 of 207

I sell 1 of a kind items (paintings). Can I lock the quantity count so they can't select multiples?

When I sell a painting I would prefer it to say "sold" and not out of stock.

I need item images displayed with a mix of a proportions. I should not have to pick just 1 ratio for everything. No cropping. Images in a gallery are not cropped, but if I put them in a lightbox, they get cropped.

Message 152 of 207

Agreed. Sold or a red dot would be nice.

Message 153 of 207
Square

Thanks for your great questions @lawrencesmith. We will definitely take into consideration your feedback and hope we can provide you with a better experience soon.

Message 154 of 207

How can you resize your logo to have it as your main picture on the website?

Message 155 of 207
Beta Member

As lawrencesmith said, you can use a logo as a background image and LIKELY accomplish what you're wanting. It could take some playing around with dimensions and the "padding" (or blank space) around your logo to get the exact look you want. I've done this on my Square site if you'd like to see an example. To be clear, my site uses BOTH a logo file and then a larger image of my logo as a background. If you just wanted one massive "banner" logo, then you could omit using an official logo in the website builder (although this would make your checkout page look "unbranded".  Anyway, you can see what I did at www.hermetheus.com.

Message 156 of 207

Thank you so much!

Message 157 of 207

I would make a separate image of your logo and use it like a background image and not a logo. I think that's what you are trying to do : )

Message 158 of 207

Being able to embed a  video to our website would look a lot more professional than adding a YouTube link. Is that in the works?

Message 159 of 207
Super Seller

You can currently embed a YouTube video by using the Embed Code section in the website editor. On YouTube you can get the code needed by choosing Share > Embed and it will copy all the code needed. 

I will say that the embed code feature is still a bit clunky, so it would be an improvement to have more options for different things we are trying to embed. Like a native YouTube section that's dynamic enough to adjust sizing for different screens! 

Andrea with Kei Collective - an artist collective with a shop in Phoenix, AZ

We're a Square Super Seller - We're here to help!
Message 160 of 207
Square

Thanks for your question @Tbauguss. Uploading videos to the video section is on the horizon. Thanks for your patience!

Message 161 of 207

Thanks. 

Message 162 of 207
Beta Member

I've been thinking about this more - some other things i'd love to see in Square;

• The ability to hide a variation of an item so we don't loose variety specific details. Example - we change our cake of the week out periodically and it would be great instead of saying 'Cake of the Week' and have it be a surprise to online customers to be able to list the flavor. Then, when that flavor is not available we can hide it. Right now you can add varieties and 0 out inventory, which seems clunky from a customer experience as they are seeing things not available and may get frustrated. Other systems i've used have the ability to hide variations so they can easily be turned on and off
  • It would be great if we can archive items from a catalogue that are no longer used so that they are not part of the main item list. Our business changed models a few years ago and so we have all of our old items listed in the system - we don't necessarily want to delete those as we don't want to loose data we may want on products in the future. When we are looking for an item in the item list though it is so long and contains so many unavailable items. We put them in an Archive category so they don't get sorted into one of our active categories but I'd love to essential hide them from our staff so they aren't visually overwhelmed.
Message 163 of 207
Square

Hi @ZDeli, we hear you on the ability to hide variations and we are exploring the work it takes to add it in 2022. For hiding older unavailable items, one option is to filter the item list in SO to show only Visible / Hidden items so that you no longer see the unavailable items in your view. It’s not perfect (you may have items that are unavailable that you don’t want to archive just yet). We will look into adding an archive ability in the future as well.

Message 164 of 207
Beta Member

Hi! How do i set an item as hidden versus visible? This is at least a better solution.

Message 165 of 207
Super Seller

We would love the ability to center heading text. Currently we use embed code to do so. 

Message 166 of 207
Square

This should be doable. Could you share a link / screenshot to which heading you want to center?

Message 167 of 207
Beta Member

1- Please add password protection possibility to all products as the products are not protected and can be located by a simple google search of them. 

2- Customer accounts with a regular login

3- Wholesale and Retail possibilities for customers

Message 168 of 207