x

Deposit Return Scheme

How do we implement the deposit return scheme on receipts.? 

and keep track generally of the charges we must make ?

"From 1 February, 2024, when you buy a drink featuring the Re-turn logo, you will be charged a small deposit  in addition to the price of the drink. The drinks containers included in the Scheme  are PET plastic bottles and aluminium and steel cans between 150mls and 3 litres. A deposit of 15c will apply to containers from 150ml to 500ml inclusive and a deposit of 25c for containers over 500mls to 3 litres inclusive."

Message 1 of 12
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Square doesn't have a feature that facilitates the deposit return scheme currently @SH23.

The workaround is to create new items to charge for and record deposits. For example, you can add two non-taxable items to your item library, naming one 15c Deposit with a price of €0.15, and the other 25c Deposit with a price of €0.25. The deposit will be displayed separately on the receipt.

This requires you to manually add the deposit item to the cart during sale. For example, selling 5 small containers requires you to add 5 of the 15c Deposit items to cart, in addition to the 5 small containers.

You can find more information about accepting a deposit for items on our Support Centre.

Please note that the workaround described is in no way in full adherence to the rules of the Deposit Return Scheme. We always recommend consulting a knowledgeable professional advisor.

I hope this helps, but feel free to reach out to me if you have further questions. 

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square Community Moderator

Hello @SH23, Welcome to The Seller Community, we are happy to have you! 😀👋

I am sorry I am not fully understanding what you are trying to set up. Do you want to charge a deposit for different bottles? When you have a moment please provide some more information. 

Message 2 of 12
Beta Member

There was a new laws braught in in Ireland from Feb 1st that we have to charge 15 c for a retunable bottle deposit of 500ml or less and 25c for a bottle 501ml or greater.  https://re-turn.ie/wp-content/uploads/Hospitality-Need-to-Know-.pdf

These have to shown as saperate charges on the receipt. So cannot be included in the full till receipt price.

EG

500 ml Coke €1.50

Deposit          €0.15

Total:             €1.65

Square Item will need to have the requirement to show the deposit saperately  on the receipt

Hope this explains

Ronan C Galvin
Message 3 of 12
Admin

Best Answer

Square doesn't have a feature that facilitates the deposit return scheme currently @SH23.

The workaround is to create new items to charge for and record deposits. For example, you can add two non-taxable items to your item library, naming one 15c Deposit with a price of €0.15, and the other 25c Deposit with a price of €0.25. The deposit will be displayed separately on the receipt.

This requires you to manually add the deposit item to the cart during sale. For example, selling 5 small containers requires you to add 5 of the 15c Deposit items to cart, in addition to the 5 small containers.

You can find more information about accepting a deposit for items on our Support Centre.

Please note that the workaround described is in no way in full adherence to the rules of the Deposit Return Scheme. We always recommend consulting a knowledgeable professional advisor.

I hope this helps, but feel free to reach out to me if you have further questions. 

Message 4 of 12
Beta Member

Hi @Lou8 .

Thanks for that....it will be workable in the short term what you suggested.

However buinesses will need to be more assured they are charging the correct prices ...as we barcode scan the drink for retail sale it is cumbersome to have to go add a saperate item charge via screen.

Will you bring this to the attention of programmers see if a solution can be found?

Thnaks for your assistance

Ronan

Ronan C Galvin
Message 5 of 12
Admin

We will pass this feedback on, Ronan and if we have any updates we will let you know here! @TheCreamery 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 6 of 12
Beta Member

Thanks Breffni

Hopefully they can come up with a solution.

Regards

Ronan

Ronan C Galvin
Message 7 of 12
Square Community Moderator

And you are trying to charge this through Square Online @SH23

Message 8 of 12
Beta Member

It needs to be both online and instore.

If a customer purchases a plastic bottle / can over 125 ml we are obliged to charge the deposit for return

Ronan C Galvin
Message 9 of 12

This could be solved simply if Square had the ability to apply different VAT rates to modifiers. It's mad that an expensive system doesn't have this simple feature - one that people have been asking for on here for years it seems. The workaround is onerous.

Message 10 of 12
Beta Member

So one way to solve it temperarily is I put a forced modifier on all the requred drinks of 15c and 25 C for those 1 L and above

Ronan C Galvin
Message 11 of 12

Yeah so did I but I'm now paying VAT on the deposit charge. 

Message 12 of 12