x

How can I apply multi-buy discount on my online store?

I am trying to entice my customers away from eBay and to buy direct from my website but I can't offer them the same or better discounts - I'm not sure if it's me not figuring it out or whether there isn't the options that I need. I need to be able to offer a % discount on certain items or a category but only if they purchase 3 or more of the items. Can anyone help? 

http://dellipops.square.site/

Message 1 of 54
Report Inappropriate Content
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your patience while our Square Online team continue to work on new features. I'm excited to share that automatic discounts created on Square are now sync to the Square Online Site, which will allow you to create discounts like Buy 12 get 10% off, Buy One Get One Free, or time-based happy hour discount) ๐ŸŽ‰ 

When you create your discounts, you'll see the option to make it available on your Square Online site. One thing to note is that category-based discounts are currently not supported. To use this feature, you will need to select individual items in your automatic discount rules.

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 13.41.55.png

You can read more about how to use this feature in our Support Centre.

Let me know if you have any question!

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!

View Best Answer >

Message 54 of 54
53 REPLIES 53
Beta Member

Well it's been over a year now and still no options? I am trying to sell tickets that have a limited number, 30. I want to offer a  discount for 2-pack purchase. I can't see anyway to allow this without over selling the event.

Message 22 of 54
Beta Member

So the way I have done it for a product I sell in singles but cheaper for 2... I only have 12  at the minute, so I have listed 6 singles and 3 pairs and customers just have to choose the quantity they want in the options. 

Message 23 of 54

Hi,

Since it was indicated that the need for the BOGO functionality is being tracked in this thread, this is to confirm that we too have experienced frustration with the glaring omission of the functionality for quantity based coupons on the online store. Coupons like Buy one get one free are probably the most common type of discount out there yet we can't do this on the online version.

Someone else also mentioned synchronizing across platforms. This is also an unpleasant gap in functionality. For example, when you set a sale price for an item online, this doesn't sync with the POS. The prices when using the POS App are not updated and so it is a massive duplication of effort to reprice everything in order for both to align. If you miss one, the customer could end up being charged more than what is displayed online because it doesn't sync. 

Message 24 of 54

yeah, I find this a frustration too. I end up having to remember to apply a cash discount to items in store to match the sale price online, the online sale price needs to sync with POS.

In addition, I've noticed that if the stock level for an item falls to zero online you can't purchase it (which is the way it should be) but on POS it will allow negative sales which means you can double-sell an item in store that has already been purchased online but not yet fulfilled. A simple pop up on POS warning of a impending negative sale could avoid this happening.

Message 25 of 54
Square Community Moderator

Hi @BeerSeller, thanks for raising this! There isn't a feature to have a warning message within the app right now but you can check the stock level if you click into the item. The inventory will show sold out items as 0 or below. 

You can also set a low stock alert so that if an item's in-stock quantity falls below a certain number (which you can determine). When this is set, you'll receive an email notifications to let you know the stocks have fallen, and you'll also see the alert when viewing your items on Dashboard. More information about this can be found here

In regards to the online and in-store discount, you can setup a discount to be applied automatically or manually within the app to reflect the same online discount. To learn more, visit our Support Centre

I can see how it can be beneficial to have an option to sync the online and in-store discount as well as out of stock alert notification within the app. This was flagged to our Product team as a feature request and I will be sure to update this thread if I have any further updates. 

Emma
Message 26 of 54

My feature request for automatic discounts is quantity based, if a customer buys 1 at $2.99, 3 at $7.99, and 8 and 12.99 for example. there is no if/else loop so to speak for this feature... I can't manage the inventory with the work around of adding a simple button. Is there any progress on this for the Retail / Square Register?

Message 27 of 54

I could do with this aswell 

Message 28 of 54
Super Seller

Hi - We also would like to see this feature on Square Online - with majority of our sales happening online and not via the app, it would be much easier/simpler for us to have a quantity based discount option. 

Some of our products - are purchased in various quantities - which is where this would come in handy rather than having to set up "Packs of X" in our variations. 

Craig
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
Signature Home
Follow me on Instagram
Message 29 of 54

Thanks  @AMOrhard-Reid for this post. Bumping up this thread again for admins.

It's not logical that this been set up as a function for instore POS, but can't be simply transferred to the online version of a shop. It would have been better if the function HADN'T been available in the instore version, or was clearly signposted so users would know for building the corresponding online sites. This feature is an absolute must for my sector of food and beverage. Please update ASAP.

Note: The suggested workaround of single products for deals or coupons is extremely non-intuitive for customers - and doesn't allow them to change their minds and increase / decrease their order without starting over with a new product. Can we have a solution that helps us decrease customer friction and support our sales? Update us please ๐Ÿ™

Message 30 of 54
Beta Member

Consider this another bump - I've been running my website for years on WooCommerce, but have added two brands to my portfolio.  I want people to be able to buy them all in one place, and I need a new physical POS, so I decided on Square so I could keep track of everything together.

@tranguyen - you said in June 2020 "For the moment, you should be able to offer discount if people spend over a certain amount, so it might be a good incentive as well."

How can I automate this on the checkout please?  I'm happy to do a cost-based discount rather than my usual "3 for ยฃ5" offer, but I just can't figure out how to do this!

For the record, I'm not yet trading on the website, and I've not yet bought Square hardware.

Thank you!

Message 31 of 54
Admin

Hi @MisterPip, just stepping in for Tra here. 

Discounts in Square Online are called Coupons, and are available for you to use for all online sales. 

You can set up a discount of say ยฃ10 off ยฃ50 orders in your Square Online Dashboard > Items > Coupons > Discount details.  

Screenshot 2022-01-23 at 10.50.18.png

I hope this helps! 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question โœจ
Message 32 of 54
Beta Member

Hi @Breffni!

Thanks for the reply, but not very much i'm afraid...  I've found the coupons and can easily set one up, but can this be automatically applied without the customer having to type in a code?  I want everyone to be able to get it - not just those on my mailing list or those who follow my social media, for example (or may not read the item description) if I put it in there).

Cheers!

Message 33 of 54

Hi @MisterPip, Emma here stepping in for @Alegra. An automatic discount on Square Online Store is a feature request at the moment. I understand how beneficial it will be to have the discount automatically applied to the items or purchases. I will share your feedback with the Product team.

In addition to adding the coupon code to the item description, you can also set up a banner with the coupon code for more visibility. 

Emma
Message 34 of 54
Beta Member

Thank you @Emma_, I appreciate the answer.

I've sent a request for Beta access, so hopefully it may be on there (now, or soon?) and I get approval!  I need to set up a new website and I want to keep the functionality I have now, and Square is just lacking in so many very basic ways that are expected of ecommerce sites today.

Message 35 of 54

Thank you for your feedback @MisterPipMisterPip. I understand that you need the most suitable solution for your business. You can check any ongoing Beta program with the team. Please click Join Beta Square through this link if you haven't done it yet. You will go through the Non-Disclosure Agreement and get notified when the Beta team approves your request to join. 

Emma
Message 36 of 54

Bumping this because because BOGO is probably the number one sale people do on their online stores. I get that Square probably wants to make money by selling their readers/POS to people, but a lot of small makers like myself just can't do markets or in person sales for any number of reasons, and not being able to have no-code or BOGO discounts is hurting our shops by making us have to partially refund customers after or do some clunky workaround most customers aren't going to read the fine print of anyway. If it's available on POS, then you already know the coding etc for it, I don't get why it's taking so long to add it to the Square Online stores too. More sales on our shops means more money for Square in the long run, so it would be to Square's advantage to get this feature added sooner rather than later. 

Message 37 of 54

Did this feature get introduced? 

I was hoping to do a 3 for ยฃ10 offer but I don't want it mess up my other stock levels by adding it as another option 

Message 38 of 54

Hi @Blueneira, thanks for posting here. This is currently a feature request. A workaround would be to create a new item 3 for 10ยฃ but this will require a manual update to your inventory. This is not ideal and I understand how it would benefit your business and other Square Online sellers. If there is any update, we'll make sure to inform you in this thread.  

Emma
Message 39 of 54
Beta Member

Hi @Emma_ I was under the impression from the Beta community that enhanced discounts was due to be rolled towards the end of last year. Can you please help set people's expectations as to when this fundamental requirement/feature is likely to be made available. There seems to be a very very bias towards restaurant and takeaway features being rolled out (again). How come online seems to play second best?

Message 40 of 54
Beta Member

I do actually agree with foxflame.... Whilst I am enjoying using the POS terminal when I sell in person at markets, I am finding it the online side much more difficult to use in line with what I need - the enhanced discounts, the multiple locations feature is also more geared up towards restaurants take away rather than online retail. 

Enhanced discounts really needed to have happened by now... 

Message 41 of 54

Nearly two years on from this question being posed without this simple request being resolved tells me everything I need to know about Squares commitment to retail ecommerce, I think it's time I started looking elsewhere with other platforms for the solution that Square is reluctant to supply.

As the thread has said previously.. updates are very restaurant biased (probably due to the lucrative (for Square) delivery partner tie ins .... Uber eats, Just eat etc)

Message 42 of 54