x

Online Store: How do I enable an SSL certificate?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: ssl certificate

Hi There

i hope you can help i have bought a basic weebly account just to point my own domain to the online shop ip address i done this last night but today i get a page with NOT SAFE and certificate error, i have tried to unpublish and publish the site but still same error

thank you

Message 1 of 38
Report Inappropriate Content
2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @maximo, sorry to hear you're encountering this error. Are you still seeing it? I just took a look at your site and I didn't see it. 

Sometimes it can take a while for the settings to update after you republish. To republish your site:

1. Go to the Website section of your online store (sign in > click Edit Website).
  2. Click General Settings > scroll down and click Un-Publish.
  3. Then click Publish button in the top right corner).

If you've already waited a while after republishing and you still see the error please try clearing your browser history

Reply here if you have any questions about this! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hey @FlowEcoBoat - Good News, I visited your site-- it looks great and it showed up secure!

Of course, the important thing is for your site to appear secure to your customer. One of the troubleshooting steps that i've found to be most helpful in case is unpublishing and publishing your site. 

Also, I found these steps that may be helpful for mobile:

Solve Your Android SSL Connection Error

1. Correct the Date & Time on Your Device. ...
  2. Clear Browsing Data of Google Chrome. ...
  3. Reset Your Network Settings. ...
  4. Deactivate Your Antivirus App. ...
  5. Update Your App/Browser. ...
  6. Visit Website in an Incognito/Private Mode. ...
  7. Reset Your Device.

How to Fix the SSL Connection Error on iPhones and iPads

1. Open the Settings app and select General > Date & Time.
  2. Check if the Set Automatically option is enabled. If it isn't, turn it on.
  3. Manually check if your device is using the correct time zone.

I Hope this is helpful for you and your customers 🙂 

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

This is my site and it is connected, has been working for the past 6 months and receiving orders but this problem started last week. I unpublished and published last week, fixed the problem but it happened again 2 days ago and despite doing the same agin, it’s not allowing customers to access

Any advice please on how to contact a square rep to get this working?

https://www.edenandsoul.co.uk/

Message 22 of 38
Super Seller

How long has the site been displaying unsecured for?

Matt - He/They
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question!
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 23 of 38

I'm still getting this problem. I have unpublished and published a couple of times and left it over 3 days but still getting the same message, as are my customers so its not my browser history causing the issue. any ideas please? A week my site has been unsecure

www.edenandsoul.co.uk

I've checked the domain is (still) pointing in the right place and it is.  Help!!

Message 24 of 38
Admin

Really sorry about this @edenandsoul! As it has been more than 48 hours and we've checked everything, the only thing I can think of is to make sure your subscription is still active. You can check this under Square Online site > Account Settings > My Services

Tra
Community Manager, Square
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 25 of 38
Admin

Hey @edenandsoul, just want to add to @MJD's message above! I had a quick look at the domain on who.is and it doesn't look like it has been register or connect to a website

If you've purchased the domain from a different company, you can follow these steps to connect your domain to your Square site

If you've purchased the domain from Square, you can assign the domain from the Domain tab in your Square Online Overview page as outlined under Assign or connect your domain

It's worth noting that you'll need an active subscription to a paid plan to use a custom domain, so it's also worth double-checking to make sure all your subscriptions are up to date as well.

Tra
Have a burning question to ask in our Question of the Week? Share it with us!
Message 26 of 38

It’s been insecure the past 2 days this time.

Message 27 of 38
Super Seller

Please understand sometimes it takes 48hrs+ to activate an SSL certificate, you’d experience a similar issue on many site hosts, your site should be secure again soon. 

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 28 of 38

Ha, no, that’s my business feeling insecure! The site is unsecure!

Message 29 of 38
Super Seller

I’m afraid this is how the web works and you will bump into trouble every now and again, nothing can work perfectly 100% of the time, in an ideal world, the site is resecured within minutes but sometimes som servers can take longer or issues can be met during the registration, take into consideration the time it often takes to secure your site when the SSL expires, Square aim to keep your site up as often as possible, but as with any other provider sometimes this doesn’t go fully to plan. 

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 30 of 38

I totally understand sites can go down from time to time, it’s expected, but to show a message saying it’s not secure instead of saying site down temporarily, can lose customers permanently. 

Hey-ho. 

Message 31 of 38
Super Seller

Square don’t decide to show this message, this is a browser standard that matches the port that the site is being accessed on (http:// or https://) when the SSL is active it’ll guide you to https:// which is the secure port but if not it’ll have to use http:// meaning that the site will show as insecure

Matt - He/They
mjdws
Shop MJD Photography
Visit MJD Web Services
Message 32 of 38

Oh I understand now. Thanks for taking the time to explain. You can tell I’m a website novice!!

Message 33 of 38

Our website is also having this same issue. I have purchased the domain from Namecheap and connected it to my square online account. It was working yesterday but now says the website is unsafe today. I purchased an SSL from name cheap but they need a CSR to connect it. Is the namecheap SSL unnecessary? I don't see the option to unpublish website in the settings tab. Can you please take a look and see what needs to be done? www.shopscarlatta.com

Message 34 of 38
Square Community Moderator

Hi @maloriharry, sorry you're running into this. Please follow these steps to connect your domain to your Square site. It takes 24h-48h to fully propagate after the changes have been made. You don't need to purchase an SSL certificate with a third party. 

It's worth noting that you'll need an active subscription to a paid plan to use a custom domain, please make sure all your subscriptions are up to date if it hasn't been already. 

Emma
Message 35 of 38

Hi, 

I have the same problem. My site www.dazzleceramics.com was working fine until today and now it is showing up as insecure. I have unpublished and republished it twice and looked at it on an incognito window but no luck.

UPDATE it has now started working again - all a bit strange but at least its working

Thanks,

Jo

Message 36 of 38
Admin

Hi Jo, sorry to hear you ran into this issue but thank you for letting us know it is all up and working now! 

It sounds like your SSL may have expired and then you reissued it by reissuing the site. 

Once you reissue the site the SSL can take 24-48 hours to repopulate, so that would be why there was a slight delay. 

I know this must have been stressful, so apologies for the inconvenience and delayed response! 

Please let us know if we can help with anything else, and welcome to the Seller Community! @dazzleceramics 

Breffni
Community Moderator, Ireland, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question
Message 37 of 38

Hi Alegra, many thanks for your reply. Yes it was rather disconcerting as I wasn't sure how long the website would be down. It did it again this morning and I unpublished and republished and it came back about an hour later. Seems strange to have done it again so soon if t was to do with a security certificate?

Message 38 of 38